Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 2018-10-25, 09:55 AM
reens09 reens09 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 269
Default

great points sarah!! unless you have a need for stronger air movement, it may just end up costing you more to do it this way, than to just pay the 1.5-2k and upgrade through them. plus all the other costs...ripping down cabinets, adding more backsplash etc.

One other consideration is that if you do the hoodfan you may want to extend your backsplash up the wall behind the hoodfan all the way to the ceiling. We were not told of this at the design centre but luckily found out through others and paid for it on time. it wasn't much for us.. and had we not done it, we would have a beautiful chimeny hoodfan..and then our backsplash would stop at the lower end base of the hoodfan and the rest of the wall behind it would be bare wall.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2018-10-25, 12:41 PM
HMBTUX HMBTUX is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie11 View Post
Just something to think about... - yes having the fan is code and yes the builders fans - even for $1500 or more (from my experience) are only 300 CFM max, because that is code also. Higher CFM's suck out to much air in these air tight new homes and can pull in/be replaced with fumes/carbon monoxide from furnace, water tank, fireplace etc. I was in the same position as you are, I had a 36 inch gas wolf going in and needed at least 750CFM for the amount of BTU's the burners put out. Soooo... after much research I realized I had to put in make up air to meet code. My builder also would not put in a hood I bought but.. would put it in if I bought the make up air unit from them. So in the end that's what I did. You might want to consider investigating make up air as well. Another thing to consider is upgrading/increasing the duct size to 8 inch for the hood fan venting. I wanted the high CFM with a baffle set up and most I found that I was interested in from my research required 8 inch ducting. You can use the standard 6 but requires connecting an 8 inch out to a 6 inch duct. I didn't want to lose any suction power.. lol . A bit expensive for the make up air unit at $3200.00 but house will meet code at resale and was all complete for move in date. Anyway long story short but system works perfectly and I can pan fry fish at home without you even knowing what I'm cooking haha. Mission accomplished!

Interesting stuff , Newbie! I'm admittedly the newbie to this (never looked into a hood range before and relatively new homeowner). But I am currently struggling to find a replacement louvered exterior exhaust vent for my hood range because of the size (8 inch). Everywhere I look seems to only carry the standard 4 or 6 inch size. The louvers are getting stuck open/broken off and last winter there was so much cold air coming in through the hood range that little icicles were starting to hang down from the hood range over the stove (looked pretty cool LOL!). I assumed it was because of the louvers, but I am wondering if this "make up air" you mention might be in play for me. What exactly is make-up air and do you think it could contribute to my issue? Also curious what you mean by connecting an 8 inch to a 6 inch as I troubleshoot over here.

The whole area under the hood range gets very cold during the ultra cold days. So much so that when we installed the backsplash there were issues due to how cold that one wall was. I even tracked down the company that did the original ductwork/exhaust fans work during original construction (via the builder) and they said they never use 8 inch only on the odd custom built home. I think someone who saw it pointed out that it is a powerful/high end hood range so maybe the previous/original homeowner had it custom installed after he moved in?

Thx for reading my rambly response! Any advice from anyone is appreciated as I am wondering if the install was done correctly.

Last edited by HMBTUX; 2018-10-25 at 12:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2018-10-25, 10:17 PM
newbie11 newbie11 is offline
Junior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: ottawa
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
Interesting stuff , Newbie! I'm admittedly the newbie to this (never looked into a hood range before and relatively new homeowner). But I am currently struggling to find a replacement louvered exterior exhaust vent for my hood range because of the size (8 inch). Everywhere I look seems to only carry the standard 4 or 6 inch size. The louvers are getting stuck open/broken off and last winter there was so much cold air coming in through the hood range that little icicles were starting to hang down from the hood range over the stove (looked pretty cool LOL!). I assumed it was because of the louvers, but I am wondering if this "make up air" you mention might be in play for me. What exactly is make-up air and do you think it could contribute to my issue? Also curious what you mean by connecting an 8 inch to a 6 inch as I troubleshoot over here.

The whole area under the hood range gets very cold during the ultra cold days. So much so that when we installed the backsplash there were issues due to how cold that one wall was. I even tracked down the company that did the original ductwork/exhaust fans work during original construction (via the builder) and they said they never use 8 inch only on the odd custom built home. I think someone who saw it pointed out that it is a powerful/high end hood range so maybe the previous/original homeowner had it custom installed after he moved in?

Thx for reading my rambly response! Any advice from anyone is appreciated as I am wondering if the install was done correctly.

Hi HMBTUX - No your problem is not related to make up air. Sounds like you just need to find the right size and quality exterior vent cover... but that's just a guess.

Just to be clear I'm not a professional HVAC specialist, just sharing knowledge I picked up through my own research for my requirement. Make up air is basically bringing fresh air into your home to replace what you expel with the range hood. So unless your expelling large amounts of air
> than 300 CFM, this is not an issue. And - even if you are, many people still do it. You can open a window nearby and basically achieve the same effect, Keeping the correct pressure in the home. This of course won't meet code though and that's why the builder wont do it, and it can be pretty cold in the winter!

A make up air unit is connected to your furnace and is signaled by your range hood so when it goes on and expels air - the makeup air unit will suck the same amount of fresh air in and shut off when the range hood is shut off. It will also heat the air (if you have a heater) in the winter. As Sarah said it is a bit pricey when you add 3k ish for the unit and a high powered fan your easily over 5K for kitchen ventilation. So, many times it is an upgrade folks hadn't bothered with in the past but is becoming much more common given the air tight homes being build now and the high efficiency range hoods available. Really depends how much suction power you want, if you care about code or if you just decide to put in the fan after and open a window! When I did mine it was very difficult to even get good information on it, and I phoned a number of HVAC professional companies for advice and didn't get much help. I was kinda hoping to find a cheaper option!

Some information on what I had found to help with duct size decisions and to read our resident inspector comments on makeup air you can have a look at these links.

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ght=makeup+air

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/22...t-hole-opening
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2018-10-26, 08:02 AM
HMBTUX HMBTUX is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 288
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie11 View Post
Hi HMBTUX - No your problem is not related to make up air. Sounds like you just need to find the right size and quality exterior vent cover... but that's just a guess.

Just to be clear I'm not a professional HVAC specialist, just sharing knowledge I picked up through my own research for my requirement. Make up air is basically bringing fresh air into your home to replace what you expel with the range hood. So unless your expelling large amounts of air
> than 300 CFM, this is not an issue. And - even if you are, many people still do it. You can open a window nearby and basically achieve the same effect, Keeping the correct pressure in the home. This of course won't meet code though and that's why the builder wont do it, and it can be pretty cold in the winter!

A make up air unit is connected to your furnace and is signaled by your range hood so when it goes on and expels air - the makeup air unit will suck the same amount of fresh air in and shut off when the range hood is shut off. It will also heat the air (if you have a heater) in the winter. As Sarah said it is a bit pricey when you add 3k ish for the unit and a high powered fan your easily over 5K for kitchen ventilation. So, many times it is an upgrade folks hadn't bothered with in the past but is becoming much more common given the air tight homes being build now and the high efficiency range hoods available. Really depends how much suction power you want, if you care about code or if you just decide to put in the fan after and open a window! When I did mine it was very difficult to even get good information on it, and I phoned a number of HVAC professional companies for advice and didn't get much help. I was kinda hoping to find a cheaper option!

Some information on what I had found to help with duct size decisions and to read our resident inspector comments on makeup air you can have a look at these links.

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ght=makeup+air

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/22...t-hole-opening
Thanks very much for sharing some info on this! I checked last night and our fan is 500 CFM, so sounds like stronger than what the builder puts in but nothing too crazy. When I turn the fan on high (speed 3 of 3) I do hear what sounds like a little (slightly delayed) click that makes me think there is a simple damper that is set to open with the pressure of the air blowing out.

Also did a bit of research since posting this and from what I came across, make-up air systems are not always attached to furnace....and are sometimes integrated right into that same duct run where the hood range is. This is what made me think maybe it was not working properly and letting too much cold air in at that spot.

I don't think I have anything sophisticated so will keep in mind about simply opening a window when running the fan going forward. And will start by replacing the exterior vent (hoping I can just snap in some new plastic louvers TBH) to see if that fixes the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2018-10-27, 05:20 PM
NewHome1234 NewHome1234 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Default

Speaking of make-up air units...I tried to get one from my builder (Urbandale) and was willing to pay for it and everything so I can get a higher CFM hoodfan...after going to them several times asking about it, I was told that they do not provide make-up air units because they have to maintain a certain energy efficiency rating.

Just wondering if anyone has run into this problem where certain builders don't do make-up air units?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2018-10-29, 03:58 PM
dvg dvg is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 189
Default

I had built a new house that closed in 2016 and it does not have a make-up air unit. It seems like a needless complication to me if you have any other openings (Water heater fresh air supply in the basement?). I can see the need if you are using a very high cfm range hood though.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2019-10-10, 09:46 AM
BiteSizeThumb BiteSizeThumb is offline
Junior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 27
Default

It's late but we took possession of our home and I finally nagged them about this question.

It turns out homes CAN close without a hood fan. Uniform allow the home to close without a hoodfan. When I asked the developer, they stated without a hoodfan, the home doesn't pass Energy Star certification and because all Cardel homes are energy star certified, we're required to put a hood fan and it must be 400CFM and under.

Anyways, that's why I had to pay a $2300 premium for my $800 hood fan... While my friends that closed in their Uniform home were able to put whatever the wanted later.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2019-10-10, 01:25 PM
Webber Webber is offline
Junior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 18
Default

We take possession of our house today. I can confirm that we were able to close without a hood fan installed. The builder informed us that this is no longer a code requirement and we can purchase and install our own hood fan after. The builder roughs in the electrical and ventilation.

So excited to pick up the keys later today!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2019-10-11, 11:50 AM
xdarrylx's Avatar
xdarrylx xdarrylx is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Barrhaven, Ontario
Posts: 1,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webber View Post
We take possession of our house today. I can confirm that we were able to close without a hood fan installed. The builder informed us that this is no longer a code requirement and we can purchase and install our own hood fan after. The builder roughs in the electrical and ventilation.

So excited to pick up the keys later today!
Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2019-10-11, 06:41 PM
Halton Home Inspector Halton Home Inspector is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milton
Posts: 697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHome1234 View Post
Speaking of make-up air units...I tried to get one from my builder (Urbandale) and was willing to pay for it and everything so I can get a higher CFM hoodfan...after going to them several times asking about it, I was told that they do not provide make-up air units because they have to maintain a certain energy efficiency rating.

Just wondering if anyone has run into this problem where certain builders don't do make-up air units?
My make up air system is to slightly open my kitchen window when needed.
__________________
For the new home warranty inspection services you need and deserve call Andy Shaw at 905 876 4761
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Range Hood sweetone Burlington 0 2011-04-04 04:17 PM
Range hood help needed for new home Lambros Appliances and Furniture 8 2011-01-05 09:39 AM
Range hood tommyle Appliances and Furniture 6 2009-12-03 09:53 PM
Range Hood Fan Exceed Ottawa 7 2009-07-17 07:48 PM
Range Hood: Wood Canopy Vs Stainless Steel Range Hoods Sade Appliances and Furniture 0 2009-07-13 10:53 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 AM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.