Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Real Estate Questions

Real Estate Questions Planning on selling your home? Looking to buy a resale? Post your comments and questions here.

Old 2015-12-29, 01:09 AM

Default Buy new or old in Oakville

Is it advisable to buy a new home from builders or and old ready to move in one. I feel that new homes in Oakville Ontario are over priced.

Last edited by Yasser Elbarkoki; 2015-12-29 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 2015-12-29, 06:04 PM
Regular User

You'll get several different opinions here. I don't live there but I've known the area over time.

I prefer old. Not because of the houses, but because of the feel of Oakville and is geographically part of the center.

The new houses in Oakville are at a premium due to the name only. They are too far away. It's the same stuff that is happening in Kleinburg (Kleinburg houses are nowhere near the proper Kleinburg). If you are looking for an investment, I don't see this emotional buying due to name lasting over time. The infrastructure requirements alone will start to squeeze these new areas pretty soon. And then there's the tax requirements to offset over time (you'll get this in old Oakville though)

As for the house, I have had friends live in both. The new houses are fine and you will see the same house in Brampton, Vaughn, Oshawa, etc, just maybe with a different set of finishes. Older houses will give you more yard and won't be right beside each other. Large mature trees make a difference (in my opinion) as well. You'll get that in old Oakville.

I'll have probably hit a nerve with a few on my comments, but hey, if you love your home, then that's the most important thing of all.
Old 2015-12-29, 10:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by space1999 View Post
You'll get several different opinions here. I don't live there but I've known the area over time.

I prefer old. Not because of the houses, but because of the feel of Oakville and is geographically part of the center.

The new houses in Oakville are at a premium due to the name only. They are too far away. It's the same stuff that is happening in Kleinburg (Kleinburg houses are nowhere near the proper Kleinburg). If you are looking for an investment, I don't see this emotional buying due to name lasting over time. The infrastructure requirements alone will start to squeeze these new areas pretty soon. And then there's the tax requirements to offset over time (you'll get this in old Oakville though)

As for the house, I have had friends live in both. The new houses are fine and you will see the same house in Brampton, Vaughn, Oshawa, etc, just maybe with a different set of finishes. Older houses will give you more yard and won't be right beside each other. Large mature trees make a difference (in my opinion) as well. You'll get that in old Oakville.

I'll have probably hit a nerve with a few on my comments, but hey, if you love your home, then that's the most important thing of all.

I live in "new Kleinburg" but the tax man only recognizes one Kleinburg...
Ouch!
Old 2016-01-02, 07:55 PM
Regular User

I live in the new development north of Dundas and here is what I've noticed:
I too used to think it was just overpriced due to the name, but after living in many many other towns and homes, this area has been my favourite. Most of our neighbours are doctors/medical professionals who either work in the new medical buildings or the hospital (which get compensated based on their proximity to the hospital)... the homes and neighbourhoods are really well designed. Traffic is slowed down which is important if you have small kids, the newer homes are much closer to the sidewalk which feels safer sending your kids to school by themselves (lots of eyeballs on the street). There are parks full of children and other families in a similar stage of their lives so you have things in common if you have a young family.
I've heard great things about south Oakville as well, so I guess it's mostly personal preference but I don't regret the amount of money we paid for our home... The area just feels safe (I'm sure north and south are equally safe, but I feel really comfortable letting my kids play outside here because of the community atmosphere here).
I'm also really pleased with the planning that went into the community in terms of housing for the elderly (again, I'm sure south Oakville has provisions as well), but it's nice to know that there are retirement communities/one story condos within walking distance so kids can visit grandparents on their own when the time comes.
I can't really speak for the return on investment because we don't intend to sell so I haven't compared north to south.