Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Real Estate Questions

Real Estate Questions Planning on selling your home? Looking to buy a resale? Post your comments and questions here.

Old 2012-08-04, 06:16 PM
Regular User

Similar experience as Howdy, we listed on Grapevine this past winter and sold within 3 weeks. We also listed on MLS for additional exposure.

It was our first time selling a house so it was a bit nerve-wracking but this isn't rocket science. I am sure you have done your due diligence by now but make sure the house is clean, de-cluttered, de-personalized and most important of all, it has an attractive asking price as you need to get bodies in the door before offers start to come in.

We had 3 agents come in to provide *free* market evaluation (they know full well we were under no obligations to sign anything). We subsequently took 2.5% off the listing price the agents recommended us and went with Grapevine. If somebody wanted to lowball us, we showed them the brochures detailing our house and how much we should list for and I find that work most of the time. The buyers and the agents representing them know if a house is reasonably priced.

We were ready to go with an agent if we didn't sell after 1 month. Thankfully, we did not have to get to that point.

Be confident, like i said this is not rocket science and I wish you the best of luck!
Old 2016-03-10, 06:57 PM
Regular User

I'm reviving an old thread but it's the same topic. I've used Grapevine before and it's worked well for me. This time I'm second guessing myself. I have pets, a dog and two cats. I'm not too worried about the cats, but if someone wanted to see the house, they would want to see it minus the dog (she's HUGE). This presents a bit of a problem as any showing I would have to have someone take the dog out. If I was working with an agent, then only people who had agents would be coming through and I could be the one out with the dog. The other part of that, how many people want to come during the day? I can't just have agents show up at the house.
Old 2016-03-10, 08:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
I'm reviving an old thread but it's the same topic. I've used Grapevine before and it's worked well for me. This time I'm second guessing myself. I have pets, a dog and two cats. I'm not too worried about the cats, but if someone wanted to see the house, they would want to see it minus the dog (she's HUGE). This presents a bit of a problem as any showing I would have to have someone take the dog out. If I was working with an agent, then only people who had agents would be coming through and I could be the one out with the dog. The other part of that, how many people want to come during the day? I can't just have agents show up at the house.
It's not true that only people with agents will come to see the house. Many will contact the listing agent for a viewing.
You can leave the dog in a crate in the basement or out in the back yard while showing the house. The only problem is that some people may not be comfortable with a house with many pets. I have a small dog and when we had showings we took the dog out with us and removed anything in the house that showed that there's a dog in there.
If you decide to go with an agent, I would take out the dog as well as the cats during showings.
We had many showings during the day. Also while we looked at houses, we went during the day. You see more details and see how much natural light you get during the day.
Old 2016-03-10, 10:58 PM
Regular User

If I sell through grapevine the potential buyer would likely not have an agent. My dog is old and can't go down the basement stairs nor could I use a cage. Outside won't work as she will bark to come in. If my son is home he could take her out.

I know having pets may turn off some buyers. That can't be helped it is just trying to find solutions.
Old 2016-03-11, 10:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
If I sell through grapevine the potential buyer would likely not have an agent. My dog is old and can't go down the basement stairs nor could I use a cage. Outside won't work as she will bark to come in. If my son is home he could take her out.

I know having pets may turn off some buyers. That can't be helped it is just trying to find solutions.
I think if you use grapevine, the buyers will be more acceptable to see the pets in the house, since you are there too. With an agent, they expect the house to be 'free' of pets.

You can also schedule visitations at times when your son is home and can take the dog out, but still keep the cats locked in a room in the basement.