Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Real Estate Questions

Real Estate Questions Planning on selling your home? Looking to buy a resale? Post your comments and questions here.

View Poll Results: What is good area to buy?
Stouffville 7 58.33%
Ajax 1 8.33%
Bradford 4 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-05-14, 03:50 AM
Regular User

Default bradford or stouffville

Hi,

I'm planning to buy new home this year. Trying to decide between couple of cities, mainly Stouffville and Bradford. also Ajax.

Stouffville - seems like good community and closer.
Ajax - well developed and closer to 401
Bradford - close to 400, but little further.

Prices are about the same.. Stouffville is a little more.

What do you guys think is good area to buy in terms of resale value and commuting. I'm working in downtown.

Old 2011-05-14, 08:47 AM
Regular User

I live in Stouffville and commute downtown. Stouffville is quiet so that has to be something that attracts you. As far as commuting, it's a long commute to downtown. I do it every day and I am used to it so it doesn't bother me but it is 1h - 1h & 10min. on the train to Union. Add to that the amount of time it takes you to get to the station & the time to get to your work from Union. As well, the trains depart only every 30 min. and there are 5 trains in the morning and 5 in the afternoon. The bus is available outside of those hours and on weekends. Property values here have been rising a LOT faster than in Ajax.

Ajax has good & bad pockets and again the property values in Durham period do not go up very fast. But as far as commuting downtown, I am not sure how long it is to Union but there are definitely a lot more trains. That's assuming you were referring to commuting via public transit.

I think driving is bad in both cases. Lots of traffic in the GTA. I drove downtown for a while when I first moved in. If I left early i.e. before 7am, it wasn't bad but after 7am it got really bad when reaching the 404/DVP/401 junction. The evening commute was slow.

I know nothing about Bradford, sorry.

Last edited by PJD; 2011-05-14 at 08:49 AM.
Old 2011-05-14, 11:59 AM
Regular User

I'm quite torn between the regions. Though, I'm leaning towards York.

I know the prices have gone up quite a bit in Stouffville since I looked few years ago. Do you think it still has potential to go up further?

Bradford on the other hand seems like it up and coming as stouffville was couple of years ago.

Any thoughts?
Old 2011-05-14, 12:16 PM
Regular User

Bradford re-sale values also went up 17% last year and the new houses appreciated around 12-15%. They are also a "growth node" and as such have been receiving a lot of government funding. Many new roads, the 400 interchange at 88 will be rebuilt, and there is a tabled extension running from 400 to 404 just south of 88. The town has a lot of money and has almost completed the largest recreation center in Ontario - 3 hockey rinks, 5 swimming pools etc.

They also have an aggressive plan for the downtown core and have begun a 20 year plan to turn it into the next downtown Oakville. Their plan is online.

It depends on where you live/work. I chose Bradford because (snow aside) I find the 400 a far better drive than the 401 (snow storms and long weekends removed from the equation). I had been doing the 400 for part of my commute for over 2 years (from 401 to Wonderland) and it's almost always a 120km/h steady with a slight slow down around the 407.

Stouffvile is also very nice. I *personally* wouldn't go to Ajax because I see the Eastbound 401 traffic at night and it's craaaaaaazy. If you are planning on GO'ing it, then Ajax would work well.
Old 2011-05-14, 12:20 PM
Regular User

It's too hard to predict the real estate market. People try all the time and often end up being wrong. The latest I've heard is that they expect a slower, more steady increase for the next while i.e. 2-3% per year but no one can really predict this for sure. There are so many variables involved.

I like Stouffville. May also depend on your situation though i.e. family or not? What sports you like and if what you need is close by. There are so many factors involved in deciding where you want to live. Think about your daily life as well as your extra-curricular activities, etc. Also look at property taxes, sometimes worth paying attention to i.e. some areas of Durham have really high property taxes, definitely higher than Stouffville.
Old 2011-05-14, 12:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripscanada View Post
Bradford re-sale values also went up 17% last year and the new houses appreciated around 12-15%. They are also a "growth node" and as such have been receiving a lot of government funding. Many new roads, the 400 interchange at 88 will be rebuilt, and there is a tabled extension running from 400 to 404 just south of 88. The town has a lot of money and has almost completed the largest recreation center in Ontario - 3 hockey rinks, 5 swimming pools etc.

They also have an aggressive plan for the downtown core and have begun a 20 year plan to turn it into the next downtown Oakville. Their plan is online.

It depends on where you live/work. I chose Bradford because (snow aside) I find the 400 a far better drive than the 401 (snow storms and long weekends removed from the equation). I had been doing the 400 for part of my commute for over 2 years (from 401 to Wonderland) and it's almost always a 120km/h steady with a slight slow down around the 407.

Stouffvile is also very nice. I *personally* wouldn't go to Ajax because I see the Eastbound 401 traffic at night and it's craaaaaaazy. If you are planning on GO'ing it, then Ajax would work well.
Thats great news about the appreciation. I wonder if Stouffville appreciated as much. The houses in Bradford does seem little more affordable. Were the housing developments in Bradford more recent than Stouffville? How long is your commute to downtown?

Also I might be moving jobs soon to Saga.. but I would still rather buy in york area. I know its better to buy close to work. I figure I can't decide based on where i work now, I could somewhere else in GTA down the down.
Old 2011-05-14, 12:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJD View Post
It's too hard to predict the real estate market. People try all the time and often end up being wrong. The latest I've heard is that they expect a slower, more steady increase for the next while i.e. 2-3% per year but no one can really predict this for sure. There are so many variables involved.

I like Stouffville. May also depend on your situation though i.e. family or not? What sports you like and if what you need is close by. There are so many factors involved in deciding where you want to live. Think about your daily life as well as your extra-curricular activities, etc. Also look at property taxes, sometimes worth paying attention to i.e. some areas of Durham have really high property taxes, definitely higher than Stouffville.
Yeah, I know, I shouldn't expect much appreciation with today's market. I'm just curious whether Stouffville much more mature than Bradford and will probably not appreciate much as Bradford. Yeah taxes higher in Durham region, which is probably why the prices are little lower. Although, pricing in Ajax and Stouffville are pretty close. Bradford is slightly lower, but it is also further away from the City.

Are there infrastructure expansions as well in Stouffville? It seems like Markham rd is being expanded. Also I've heard the new home constructions are slowing down the Stouffville due because it has reached capacity in terms how many people the city can currently support.

You are absolutely right, there are also other factors to consider. Thinking about daily life, I do like the country side feel of it. I've seen some stores there, hopefully there will be more expansion. Do you ever have to go out of the city for stuff.. restaurants, shopping, recreation, etc...
Old 2011-05-14, 06:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieowner View Post
Yeah, I know, I shouldn't expect much appreciation with today's market. I'm just curious whether Stouffville much more mature than Bradford and will probably not appreciate much as Bradford. Yeah taxes higher in Durham region, which is probably why the prices are little lower. Although, pricing in Ajax and Stouffville are pretty close. Bradford is slightly lower, but it is also further away from the City.

Are there infrastructure expansions as well in Stouffville? It seems like Markham rd is being expanded. Also I've heard the new home constructions are slowing down the Stouffville due because it has reached capacity in terms how many people the city can currently support.

You are absolutely right, there are also other factors to consider. Thinking about daily life, I do like the country side feel of it. I've seen some stores there, hopefully there will be more expansion. Do you ever have to go out of the city for stuff.. restaurants, shopping, recreation, etc...
For example, if you compare what I paid for my model in May 2009 with 2 of the same model that just sold in the last month (resale) in Stouffville, both sold for the same price which was $116K more than I paid back then. So that's a significan increase, but it's the past & you're asking about the future.

From what I heard there was infrastructure expansion that took place and there is more to come but unfortunately I've only been here 1 year and am no expert on that. Someone else will chime in on that hopefully soon. Some builders are done building, others not. My understanding is that it will only get so big since some of the land cannot be built on but someone recently said that the restrictions on selling that land may change in the future so you're guess is as good as mine. However, if you like the Country feel you will get that in Slowville!

For the most part I am fine with what's available in Stouffville but I do go to Costco and sometimes Markham to grab something but not on a weekly basis. As well, I work downtown so it affords me plenty of opportunity to grab little things here & there if I want to or when I visit friends etc. I was spoiled living in the city for decades so it is a getting used to, but there's enough close by anyway.
Old 2017-01-02, 12:46 AM
Regular User

Several years later.... What are your opinions on Stouffville vs Bradford??? We moved from Stouffville a year ago to Bradford and are considering moving back.

New closing: June 26, 2008

Old 2017-01-17, 11:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiant3 View Post
Several years later.... What are your opinions on Stouffville vs Bradford??? We moved from Stouffville a year ago to Bradford and are considering moving back.
Hi Radiant3, I prefer to live in Bradford because it's close to Highway 400 and it's 15 minutes drive to Vaughan via Highway 400 and close to Newmarket, East Gwillimbury, Holland Landing.

Bradford is growing and it's gonna be the next Woodbridge from what I heard from other people.
Once the new intersection Highway 400 and Line 5 is finished, i think the property value will go up higher..