Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Real Estate Questions

Real Estate Questions Planning on selling your home? Looking to buy a resale? Post your comments and questions here.

Old 2017-07-12, 12:04 PM
Regular User

Default At what point is a basement considered "finished"?

Id like to make the basement a bit nicer, possibly for a home gym, but I would also like to avoid an increase in property taxes.

If I drywalled the outside and added outlets as required, would that be "finished"? What if I add a panel ceiling? Floor?
Old 2017-07-12, 03:31 PM
Regular User

Suggest you call mpac. There is a $$ value figure, that I dont remember, where unless you go above that, there is no impact on assessed value.

Some painted drywall on the outside walls isn't finished but I dont know if they have a checklist for the other questions. Have you converted it to usable livable space - that is not defined either. Its quite livable the way it comes from the builder.

A related question is do you need a permit. Electrical yes but there is nothing else in your scope of work that would be inspected.

Edit to add: the size of the space 'finished' and as a percentage of total lower level should also be a factor.

Last edited by good2know; 2017-07-14 at 02:38 PM.
Old 2017-07-20, 11:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg View Post
Id like to make the basement a bit nicer, possibly for a home gym, but I would also like to avoid an increase in property taxes.

If I drywalled the outside and added outlets as required, would that be "finished"? What if I add a panel ceiling? Floor?
If none of it is being completed with a permit, which is sounds like you are trying to avoid, then it won't matter as no one would be aware of your changes so property taxes wouldn't increase.