Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Real Estate Questions

Real Estate Questions Planning on selling your home? Looking to buy a resale? Post your comments and questions here.

Old 2015-09-10, 06:10 PM
Regular User

Default Tenant SCreening

Wondering what tools and process Landlords use for financial checks on tenant applicants.

Does anyone use TVS - Tenant Verification Service?

Others?

thanks g2k
Old 2015-09-10, 08:21 PM
Regular User

We use a real estate agent who gets a credit check.
Old 2015-09-10, 11:02 PM
Regular User

We used TVS in the past. For the first tenants we ever had, I wish we had taken the report more into consideration, since their low score was an unfortunately clear reflection on the trouble we would have with that group of tenants.

Old 2015-09-17, 10:37 PM
Regular User

When advertising for a tenant(s) you are able to be specific as to what kind of tenant(s) would in your opinion be suitable for the home / apartment.

So, while you can not stop a tenant from smoking or having a dog for example you can advertise for non-smokers without dogs.

Always ask for a recent credit report and don't bother talking to people who do not seem willing to provide that.

I own and rent a small home. I always advertise for a couple or small family. No dogs and non smokers with current credit report and references need only apply.

BTW, I have nothing against dogs but they can be hard on a rental property but, smokers in a rental is bad news as it is very difficult to remove the smell from the home and turn off future potential tenants.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2015-09-17 at 10:49 PM.
Old 2015-09-18, 09:52 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
When advertising for a tenant(s) you are able to be specific as to what kind of tenant(s) would in your opinion be suitable for the home / apartment.

So, while you can not stop a tenant from smoking or having a dog for example you can advertise for non-smokers without dogs.

Always ask for a recent credit report and don't bother talking to people who do not seem willing to provide that.

I own and rent a small home. I always advertise for a couple or small family. No dogs and non smokers with current credit report and references need only apply.

BTW, I have nothing against dogs but they can be hard on a rental property but, smokers in a rental is bad news as it is very difficult to remove the smell from the home and turn off future potential tenants.
You should give dog people a shot, I've found them to be more loyal and less willing to move because it's so difficult to find a rental that allows dogs... "Professionals" are often light packers and will leave after one year to the other side of a subdivision because they enjoy the colour of a house over there better.