Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-11-26, 03:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr87 View Post
We did our electrical walk through and found out we have an extra room in the structure that we had not asked for!
Sorry to hear this - it sounds to me like a nightmare from a novel by Kafka!
I can't believe it! BTW the Hard Hat Tour (what you call electrical walk) is exactly about it: if you have found any structural irregularities, you write them down. You have to insist that they change everything back (if possible). Sometimes it's too late (unfortunately) for some changes though.
What do you exactly mean with "we have an extra room we had not asked for"? Did they do another bedroom instead of the loft you have chosen (this is just an example!) or did they put a new closet or pantry or else in a place you didn't like? A "room" usually defines a bigger space.
Old 2020-02-01, 04:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jord View Post
Sorry I havent had an update in a while itÂ’s been pretty eventful these last few weeks.

So after having to book many days off work to meet trades people here and there, some showing up some not, I got fed up and had them book everyone in one day to finish everything. Leading up to this day we notice the carpet in my daughters room is soaking wet. I look close and theres water damage on the baseboard etc. Someone comes the next day, says there was a roof leak but assured me it was fixed. They pulled a little carpet up and said everythings all good. The day comes when everyone is supposed to come by, about half the people show up its a joke painter spills paint on my brand new stainless steel fridge everybody blaming each other for how bad the house is. They put a hole in the wall in my daughters where it leaked to make sure everything is fine back there. The insulation is wet, lots of moisture behind the wall. I come back upstairs an hour later and an entire wall is opened up in my daughters room. Even some of the ceiling removed. Theres mold everywhere. They have all of the insulation taken out and the framing is all wet and the smell is horrible. The day we took possession, I remember the corner in that room had a yellowy/brown tint to it. I figured it was just dirty like everything else in the house, now I know it was actually a water mark. It had been leaking for who knows how long before we moved in. My daughter sleeping in that room with all that moisture and mold behind the walls, absolutely terrible. So just over a week after moving in, we move back out of the house. Things are so bad at this point, we can't even live there. My wife comes back home after taking the kids out all day thinking she's coming back and everything's done only to find out things are actually even worse and we have to get a hotel. I'm extremely angry at this point, I tell them I don't want to come back until they finish everything - the paint, the broken tiles, the crooked stairs, the mold, the drawers that don't close, the chip in my countertop, the missing doors to my laundry closet... They agree to cover our expenses while we're out of the house. We were out of the house for a week. Imagine living out of a hotel for a week with a newborn and a 2 year old... We come back to the house, just like our closing day, my wife starts crying because everything looks so bad, maybe 50% of the things are done?? Nobody has come for out kitchen yet, it's missing pieces entirely, almost half of our drawer and cupboard faces are damaged. Some of our trim corners where they've cut it is bare wood, like it's never been painted. How do you miss that?! And anywhere that they actually touched up stands out like a sore thumb. As soon at the light comes into the house, you can see all of the patches. two of the doors they put in have holes in the top of it. Looks like they put the hardware on upside down then put it on right and just left the holes!!! Every morning when I wake up, I can see all of the drywall seems in the ceiling. It's like they skipped a coat of mud on every butt joint in the house! Just submitted our 30 day list. Most of the things on it are from our PDI, then 24 hour list, now 30 day list!!! Such a joke. Now our neighbours on both sides have moved in. We went through each-others houses and I was shocked to find out they've both had plumbing leaks!!! All of us joke that it's part of the Urbandale experience. The paint and finishes in their place looked just as bad as ours if not worse! I was really hoping our house was just a lemon but unfortunately it isn't. I'm trying to be as objective as possible here but i'm just so fed up and angry. I've talked to someone from Tarion and my lawyer. They basically said the builder is doing all they have to do by paying for our accommodation and fixing things.

This has been the hardest, most stressful, annoying, inconvenient experience for my family. Now a month and a half since closing, I'm left with an angry wife, no more vacation time, and a house that is still not finished.
We are getting close to our PDI, and I can’t stop thinking about Jord’s experience. Jord, has Urbandale finally made things right for you and your family?? Hope all is well.
Old 2020-02-05, 02:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athome2019 View Post
We are getting close to our PDI, and I can’t stop thinking about Jord’s experience. Jord, has Urbandale finally made things right for you and your family?? Hope all is well.
Hey there! Thanks for checking in. A few weeks ago they came in for 3 full days of work. They got lots done, mostly paint and drywall. I’ve actually been pretty impressed with the warranty folks. Their attention to detail and the quality of their work is 100x better than anyone else who’s been in our house. The new GM has been great too - he always returns my calls and actually visited our home personally. I can’t say the same about anyone else from Urbandale.

Laurysen finally came during those 3 days. They refused to do some of the work since our fridge and stove weren’t removed for them, nobody told us this needed to be done before they came. They also weren’t able to repair a couple cupboard doors so they have to order new ones and replace them which will probably take them months. The flooring company showed up and told us they couldn’t replace the damaged boards since the new boards had been sitting in the basement. Jeld Wen didn’t show up to replace the damaged glass in our front door. So once again they didn’t finish everything but most of the paint and drywall repairs are done and I’m happy with it. Things just keep dragging on.

Hopefully they’re tightening up in Cowan’s Grove. I haven’t heard from anyone whose closed more recently.
Old 2020-02-05, 09:54 PM
Regular User

Glad to hear things are improving! Hope they speed it up and some of those vendors stop giving you a hard time! Sometimes I swear they act like they’re doing is a favour and we got the home for free!
Old 2020-02-13, 12:41 PM
Regular User

Has anyone moved to their homes in the past few months? How has your experience been?

Our closing date got pushed from April to June
Old 2020-02-13, 03:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowans_atlantis View Post
Has anyone moved to their homes in the past few months? How has your experience been?
Our closing date got pushed from April to June
I'm sorry I cannot answer your question but you mention that your closing date has been changed. Did you receive the written notice for the change as per Tarion Freehold Form (at the end of your Purchase agreement)?
Regards!
Old 2020-03-30, 11:20 AM

Completed PDI at the beginning of March on a single family home. Extremely poor finishing quality from Urbandale. They are building the homes way to fast. I have a list of over 150 items for my 30 day. They say there going to fix everything but they should be not be giving customers homes in this quality. Extremely disappointed with Urbandale.
Old 2020-03-30, 07:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadz View Post
Completed PDI at the beginning of March on a single family home. Extremely poor finishing quality from Urbandale. They are building the homes way to fast. I have a list of over 150 items for my 30 day. They say there going to fix everything but they should be not be giving customers homes in this quality. Extremely disappointed with Urbandale.
I hear you. What they delivered is insulting. Now we do the warrantee dance.
Old 2020-03-31, 10:26 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athome2019 View Post
I hear you. What they delivered is insulting. Now we do the warrantee dance.
Sorry to read this. A 30-day list with 150 items is going to be brutal to get through at the best of times, let alone now with COVID-19 concerns. This will require many, many appointments to remedy.
Old 2020-03-31, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaC View Post
Sorry to read this. A 30-day list with 150 items is going to be brutal to get through at the best of times, let alone now with COVID-19 concerns. This will require many, many appointments to remedy.
Totally regret going with Urbandale should of went with HN homes.