Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-12-05, 10:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus05 View Post
Thats what I was thinking, it was going to be a tankless rental regardless, and it's a new build so the cost of installation is not really a factor, I just don't want to deal with Enercare or cricket etc.

What does a typical install cost to remove a rental system and install the new system? Assuming both are tankless.
It's really not a lot of work. If the system is already wired, it's an unplug, detach (it's secured somewhere), detach plumbing, then reverse the steps with the new one. That's my understanding, but it's better to have a professional do it - a plumber would probably charge you for an hour's labour - $250.
Old 2019-12-05, 10:51 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
What if we've already taken possession, and used the HWH, but have not accepted anything from the company... what can we do then?
As long as you can show in court that you removed and replaced the water heater as soon as you possibly could under the circumstances no judge can view you as someone trying to scam the company that’s trying to scam you.

Also, you still do not have any type of agreement with the rental company unless you have made any type of payment to them, verbally consented to one in a phone conversation (BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT WHAT YOU SAY WHEN YOU TALK TO THE AGENTS), or filled out the forms they sent you. In this case I would argue that as far as the law is concerned (within both realms of contract law and common law), there is still no agreement between you and any rental company. The factors that make up an agreement or contract were missing at the time you signed for the house and took possession and were not made clear to you until after the fact so you are being forced to enter into an agreement you are not freely willing to enter into.

If it went to court, the judge would probably rule that you pay the rental fee for the one or two months you used the water heater and that would be the end of it. 80 - 100 bucks is way cheaper than the rip off that is their rental fees, penalties and buyout cost.

****Bottom line here is that these companies know they are scamming people and those that resist they write off as a loss and move on. They’ll never take it to court because they know it will get thrown out or they’ll have to pay a hefty fine and that sets a precedent. There’s so much damming evidence out there against this practice that they know they won’t be able to do this for much longer and awareness is growing. This thread is testimony to that.

Document everything, record every conversation and keep a detailed and chronological record of the events.

Last edited by pabloottawa; 2019-12-05 at 11:05 AM.
Old 2019-12-05, 11:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking, it was going to be a tankless rental regardless, and it's a new build so the cost of installation is not really a factor, I just don't want to deal with Enercare or cricket etc.

What does a typical install cost to remove a rental system and install the new system? Assuming both are tankless.
We paid 2700 taxes in (parts and labour) to remove Enercare's POS tankless heater and install one through our LOCAL private, small business retailer. We decided to support our local economy vs enabling fraudulent and anti-competitive practices.
Old 2019-12-11, 11:40 PM
Regular User

what made the tankless a POS?
Old 2019-12-11, 11:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
I have been negotiating with my builder and he is allowing me to strip the hot water rental from the contract, on the condition that I purchase directly from the builder and that I cannot have someone install one on my behalf.

He is asking for 3400 with installation and taxes included.
Is it worth just paying the price to get out of the contract?

I know with the government rebates right now the tankless hot water heaters are around 1500-2000.
Do it. Now is the time to do it, this will ensure your gas line is sized properly to supply a tankless as well as the other appliances, it will also ensure it gets inspectect before closing.. Ensure code compliance. And like u said its rolled into the morgage.