Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-12-05, 01:14 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post
You are right about contrasts, but I completely disagree about avoiding them. If you use them properly, big or small spaces (especially small spaces!) can gain a lot.

But as the Romans used to say: De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
I wouldn't call either of those stark contrasts...they both look great.

Contrasts in general can go REALLY well, or really badly. We have dark blue lowers and white uppers. It turned out perfectly.
Old 2019-12-06, 10:17 AM
Regular User

Wow that looks really nice. Probably very expensive as well.
Old 2019-12-09, 11:06 AM

I had black granite (black galaxy) in my previous home and never had issues with it. Very resistant, no scratches, never had issues with dust or hand prints showing up. Never cared to seal it either. In my new house I installed white quartz (Caesarstone Frosty Carrina) and I find the material much inferior to granite. Iím not very picky, but after a few years it does have some stains which I wouldnít expect to see, based on all the rave reviews available about quartz. Iím very careful about hot pans - which is not an issue at all with granite. Another issue is about the edges getting chipped. Although they can be fixed, I find it very annoying and consider it a clear sign of the product not being as robust and they claim it to be. If you search on Houzz, youíll find some reviews saying the matte finish is very tricky. Iíd stay away from it. Actually, Iíd stay away from quartz altogether, if only I could find granite with a similar look.
Old 2019-12-09, 03:47 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KainCanada View Post
I had black granite (black galaxy) in my previous home and never had issues with it. Very resistant, no scratches, never had issues with dust or hand prints showing up. Never cared to seal it either. In my new house I installed white quartz (Caesarstone Frosty Carrina) and I find the material much inferior to granite. Iím not very picky, but after a few years it does have some stains which I wouldnít expect to see, based on all the rave reviews available about quartz. Iím very careful about hot pans - which is not an issue at all with granite. Another issue is about the edges getting chipped. Although they can be fixed, I find it very annoying and consider it a clear sign of the product not being as robust and they claim it to be. If you search on Houzz, youíll find some reviews saying the matte finish is very tricky. Iíd stay away from it. Actually, Iíd stay away from quartz altogether, if only I could find granite with a similar look.
I agree with your comparison granite vs. quartz. We had the same thoughts when choosing the materials for our new home, based on what the builder offered. For the kitchen the decision was:
1. The darkest material
2. Polished
3. As homogenous as possible (if natural stone)
The answer was Granite, Nero Assoluto:

The other possibility (quartz) was Jet Black by Caesarstone:

The photos above are from the manufacturers' sites. I've seen dozens of photos of Nero Assoluto and they are never the same (lighter or darker). Let's not forget that polished surfaces always appear darker than the matt once in the same colour.
Basically this is the look we like very much:
Old 2019-12-09, 04:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post
I agree with your comparison granite vs. quartz. We had the same thoughts when choosing the materials for our new home, based on what the builder offered. For the kitchen the decision was:
1. The darkest material
2. Polished
3. As homogenous as possible (if natural stone)
The answer was Granite, Nero Assoluto:

The other possibility (quartz) was Jet Black by Caesarstone:

The photos above are from the manufacturers' sites. I've seen dozens of photos of Nero Assoluto and they are never the same (lighter or darker). Let's not forget that polished surfaces always appear darker than the matt once in the same colour.
Basically this is the look we like very much:

Do you find that your current countertop shows fingerprints and crumbs etc easily though BC it is polished and a dark color?
Old 2019-12-09, 04:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KainCanada View Post
We've also never had issues with granite.

My thinking is that the whole point of buying "stone" counters is for the durability. If I have to be extra careful with pots and staining with quartz then I'd rather have laminate counters. I agree with you that quartz counters are not as robust as many think they are.
Old 2019-12-09, 04:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjla View Post
Do you find that your current countertop shows fingerprints and crumbs etc easily though BC it is polished and a dark color?
The new house is still under construction. We have matt black countertops now (don't know what's the exact name of the granite though). Appears more anthracite than black. It always looks like covered with a thin white layer. It is not, I know, but it looks to me like this. When wiped with a damp cloth the surface looks darker and Ö cleaner before it dries.
Old 2019-12-10, 12:26 PM
Regular User

I've been in my place for 3 years and the counters don't get cleaned up right away and my quartz has not stained at all. For the counters, I went with a white, but for the island I went with something with more colour and honestly, even when it's dirty it's hard to see the dirt.
In the bathroom I got a black granite and I clean and seal it yearly. I didn't want to have to do that in the kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	14725  
Old 2019-12-11, 11:18 AM
Regular User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
I've been in my place for 3 years and the counters don't get cleaned up right away and my quartz has not stained at all. For the counters, I went with a white, but for the island I went with something with more colour and honestly, even when it's dirty it's hard to see the dirt.
In the bathroom I got a black granite and I clean and seal it yearly. I didn't want to have to do that in the kitchen.
My friend. I exactly did the same with possibly same colors you mentioned. Busy countertop at the island same as you and white quartz countertop in rest of kitchen.