Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-07-01, 07:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan1214 View Post
What harm is it doing by keeping the sign up?
Keeping the signs up on private property is another solution. As far as I know, this would not be in contravention of any By-law therefore the city cannot request that they be removed.
Old 2009-07-01, 11:16 PM
Regular User

At this point no other signs have been put up. The post are still in the ground but they are bare.

The point I was trying to make was does the city not have better things to do with their time and our tax dollars then be concerned about a few signs...

I agree that Mattamy could of looked into making them up to By-law standards or have done so in the first place, but they didn't so oh well....

Once again the point of this thread is that it is just a little disappointing when there are so many other things in our city that should be tended to first...Like sewage being dumped into the Ottawa River, or the actual people speeding down our streets and no police around her to give them tickets...This was not meant to be a pi$$ing match for lack of a better term.
Old 2009-07-01, 11:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl9004 View Post
At this point no other signs have been put up. The post are still in the ground but they are bare.

The point I was trying to make was does the city not have better things to do with their time and our tax dollars then be concerned about a few signs...

I agree that Mattamy could of looked into making them up to By-law standards or have done so in the first place, but they didn't so oh well....

Once again the point of this thread is that it is just a little disappointing when there are so many other things in our city that should be tended to first...Like sewage being dumped into the Ottawa River, or the actual people speeding down our streets and no police around her to give them tickets...This was not meant to be a pi$$ing match for lack of a better term.
I didn't read the whole thread but..

I think your point was actually to rant about them taking down YOUR daughter's signs, not because just some signs were taken down.

you think they wasted time (that could be spent on other things) in taking your daughters signs down? how much time would be wasted if they allowed signs to be put up whereever, and they had to drive around to see which ones were appropriate, which ones were just cute hand drawn pictures made by children, or which ones read "this way to buy crack"?

no offense, but thats just what i think.
Old 2009-07-02, 06:51 AM
Regular User

I don't usually like to get in on these types of disagreements....

But have you considered that someone in your neighbourhood complained to the city and that's why they were taken down?

I am in Orleans and I have seen alot of dumb things (mostly people parking backwards on a street or at a stop sign), but nothing is done about it until complaints are made. I bet that's how the signs came to the city's attention.

Not that it matters now, I guess.

Old 2009-07-02, 08:16 AM
Regular User

The sign started as a contest put on by Mattamy asking for a sign she did one she won, the sign was put up. One year later people in the neighborhood were asking me why the signs were being pulled down so I called Mattamy... There response was that the city drove through asked them to take them down.. They didn't so then they were fined and asked them to take them down. Mattamy has the same type of signs put up in the Toronto area with no issues. So Mattamy didn't think there would be an issue here.

I was just letting people know because there was a thread a year ago about the signs as well. Of course I am more disappointing about it because they are my daughter's signs I am human. She was so proud of them and worked very hard on them. If I wasn't disappointing I wouldn't be a very good mother. I would also be disappointed if another child made them as well, why because I am a nice person and care about kids feelings. Especially when it is over something so innocent like a sign made to help protect the children in our neighborhood....
Old 2009-07-02, 08:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryst View Post
I think your point was actually to rant about them taking down YOUR daughter's signs, not because just some signs were taken down.
I dont really think so. The sign was very pleasent for the neighbourhood. And I dont buy the safety argument here. People who dont drive safely are usually the ones that are in a hurry. So they wont even try to look at those signs anyways. City is just trying to show that he is the big boss.

jl9004: May be the complaint came from some other mother whose kids sign didn't make it?
Old 2009-07-02, 09:10 AM
Regular User

I can understand why the City wanted those signs taken down. First of all, they are not in both official languages which is a big deal to many people in this City. Secondly, it would only take one person to have an accident and use trying to read those signs and becoming distracted by them to sue the City. Many more taxpayer dollars would be spent on court cases.

The title of this thread is accurate however, the sad part is that most people will try to use any excuse to blame someone else when they do something wrong. These signs are a perfect "out" for someone to blame the City for their accident.

I don't think you should be blaming the City on this one. Blame people who use and abuse the legal system. I'm sure the City has been burned by similar things in the past. Their just covering their butts. It is a shame but...
Old 2009-07-02, 09:11 AM
Regular User

Mudz

Hahah I don't think anyone else entered, but don't tell my daughter that.. The contest was posted in one of the Mattamy news letters and no one responded. I ran into an employee and she reminded me of the contest and to let others know, which we did. I later asked her is anyone else entered, I got the impression no one else did.

The positive out of this is I get to keep all 5 signs. So I will be the house plastered with them , just kidding. My daughter has already decided who gets to have them.

As far as safety issues they have been up for a year with no accidents. IMO I think even with proper signage accidents can happen, take the traffic circle for example.. The signs are there but people still have no idea how to use it.

Last edited by jl9004; 2009-07-02 at 09:16 AM.
Old 2009-07-02, 09:51 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberry View Post
I can understand the frustration of the OP, however I have to agree with golfer on this. Especially with the brief details provided by OP. I have a couple questions about this.

1. Did Mattamy install these signs in place of the standard children playing signs, or were they in addition to these signs? If they were in addition, then maybe the "Welcome to ottawa..... "We take pride in sucking the fun out of life!"" would in fact apply. However question two may still have relevance.

2. Are the new signs legible at night, what about the day? I have a feeling I would have a hard time understanding these signs unless I was right beside them and stopped during daylight. Many drivers are going to see a rainbow of colors and think it's cute and charming and want to get a better look. Taking away the concentration of a visiting and unfamiliar driver to understand a difficult sign is not the desired effect one would want while driving through a neighborhood with kids playing.

I personally believe there would be a safety problem with these signs. While they do increase the appeal of the neighborhood, they do take away from the original intent of the sign, which is much more important.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not being critical of you daughter or her art. I will be proud of my kids when the star producing their own. However the boring simple black on yellow signs that are standard, are easy to see and understand. A quick glance and most drivers will understand the meaning.

I won't comment on golfer's comment in other posts, but in this post I believe he is right. The responses to his comments also seem a little disproportionate. Several personal attack because of what I read as a fairly logical observation on his part turned this thread nasty, not him. Maybe he could work on his tone a bit.

I believe this topic does deserve some discussion, because I do agree with the idea of increasing the appeal of our neighborhoods while keeping our kids a little safer at the same time. I don't have much experience with this forum, however I believe personal attacks will simply get this thread locked with nothing constructive coming out of it.

Anyway just two cents from a new guy.
I couldn't have said it any better myself. The biggest problem with the signs as I see it, is they have the look of an official sign. That is they appear to be on a metallic surface, with reflective paint. This could be distracting to drivers who would wonder what the purpose of the sign was (since it looks official). A better solution (and one I've seen done before) would have been to create these signs on wood without reflective paint. Then hang them on light standards. Something similar is done along Bronson.

In any case, while it pains me to say it, I have to agree with the city on this one. Ultimately we have standardized signs for a reason. And as for the comment on the city spending its money on better things... well I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the people who told Mattamy to remove the signs probably isn't the same people who give out speeding tickets or who clean up raw sewage.
Old 2009-07-02, 10:18 AM
Regular User

The signs are wood signs with non reflective paint...Official signs ARE on metallic surfaces with reflective paint. Maybe I am reading the last post wrong.