Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-11-10, 12:45 PM

Default HELP with choice: SOUTHFIELD/SUMMERCLIFFE

Hi All, wehave been reading this forum for a while.

We have finally decided to go with Mattamy and are hesitant between the SOUTHFIELD and the SUMMERCLIFFE, so if you have any comments for us with regard to them, it will be appreciated, AND if someone have the upgrades book for either of these model, can you please send it to us, that will assist with our final decision. You can e-mail it to us at
stevy55@hotmail.com

We'd like to make our offer this week-end.

Thanks

Steve
Old 2009-11-10, 01:22 PM
Regular User

We had the same problem and did go with the Summercliffe!! For me I like the kitchen better. We also had a tour of the Summercliffe and love it!! We did peek at a framed Southfield and didn't love it.
Old 2009-11-10, 01:50 PM
Regular User

Our original purchase was the Southfield, we liked the different layout with the angled walls and archways and the use of space on the second floor with the upstairs laundry option. We did considere the Summercliffe as well.

Why we changed our minds on the Southfield, I am really unsure about the entrance and the way the fornt door is right there next to the dining room; it gave me a "townhouse" kinda feel. Also did not like how the stairs are right in the middle of the dining room and it lacks a mudroom. There are some framewalk pictures somewhere on this forum, just cant remember where!

The summercliffe was our next best choice, the only reason I did not get it is that I wanted the mudroom from the Westlynn (our purchase). I think it is the only real big difference from the Summercliffe.

Resale was a big factor in our decision and I felt that the Westlynn, and Summercliffe, with more classic floorplans will appeal to a larger population and resale better. You certainly cant go wrong with the Summercliffe, the Southfield is really a personal choice...

Hope it helps a bit, I was loosing sleep trying to make the decision!!! G.
Old 2009-11-10, 01:50 PM
Regular User

I took a quick look at the floor plans. I like the Summercliffe layout much better. The lower level seems to be more "open" for the Summercliffe.

The 2nd level for the Southfield is a little weird...
Old 2009-11-10, 02:23 PM

I picked Summercliffe A because it has more front bricks than others (June 08). I love the coffered ceiling and the window seat in the living room. I also love the big arch on entering the house and I love the most the curved coffered ceiling in the dining room (a structural upgrade). These together make a strong and appealing ceiling. The family room size is not so small as I imagined before moving in. The master bed room size is also good. The master ensuite is quite large, and it's conveniently next to the walk-in closets.

The only place I hate is the tiny mud room, where the two doors (to garage and to basement) collide [Upgrading to move the door down to the basement costs $3600]. Summercliffe A does look small when viewed from the left side (the garage side) because the rooms over the garage are a bit inward. It may look bigger depending on the location of the house (not covered too much by neighbors' houses) - but it's hard to know based on a map!

I also liked the Summercliffe C as it has a front porch. But at the time I bought the house, it was $10K more than the A. I also considered the Westlynn, which was $15K more than the Summercliffe A, but I picked the Summercliffe because it has a large open kitchen, a lovely ensuite, and because of the shape of the back of the house... Southfield is also nice but I didn't like the entry door on the side of the house.
Old 2009-11-10, 03:02 PM
Regular User

So happy to find out many "Summercliffe" lovers. We also bought the summercliffe in HMB. Now I am debating what kind of floor I want to put in the breakfast area (note: already decide: tile in the Kitchen and hardwood in the family room). For those who moved in already, what floor do you have in your breakfast area?

Also, I was told that the direction of the hardwood floor is not the same in the dining room and family room, breakfast and kichen. Is that right?
Old 2009-11-10, 03:13 PM
Regular User

Thanks Ian... I love the 45 degree installation as well, but that option adds extra $$$ to my already tighten budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
GVC76 I have also heard that about the hardwood, we opted for 45 degree install so it will all match up...

Ian
Old 2009-11-10, 04:41 PM

Default Summercliffe/Southfield

Thanks all for your reply on my post. We have to re-look at both plans with your comments later tonight,,

We are considering lot 74 or 75 at HMB (or any other 43" lot still available this week-end, I think they only have 7 or 8 left).

Ian, can you please send me the PDF format of the Upgrades books my email is: stevy55@hotmail.com

We are considering lot 74 or 75 at HMB (or any other 43" lot still available this week-end, I think they only have 7 or 8 left).

Thanks a lot
Steve,
Old 2009-11-12, 11:49 AM

Default Summercliffe

My brother-in-law has a Summercliffe and loves it. Its a perfect house for a family. The only thing I didn't like about it is the stairs. I don't like stairs that go straight down. I would have preferred somewhat of a break in the stairs or a small spiral. The kitchen is the best part of the house. It has tons of cabinetry plus a pantry, you will never run out of storage space. I also like the small balcony, nice place to sit and have a coffee or read a book. I can't really compare to Southfield which I have never walked through. But I wasn't too fond of the layout from the floor plan.

Hope this helps!
Old 2009-11-27, 12:41 AM
Regular User

Threadjack

Are there any current Summercliffe Owners who can provide pictures of the Bath Oasis upgrade for the Master En-suite. From what I understand from the Design folks & looking at the floor plans the additional cost doesn't seem to warrant an upgrade.... it only nets you an additional basin in the vanity and nothing more...

Summercliffe'rs correct me if I am wrong.

Regular En-suite:
- Single Basin Vanity
- Single strip lighting
- 6 cabinet doors
- 4 drawers across the top.
- Toilet beside vanity w/light
- Shower direct to your right when you enter w/light.
- 42x60 Tub to the left.
- Ledge.

Bath Oasis
- Double Basin Vanity
- Double strip lighting (on single switch)
- 4 cabinet doors.
- 4 drawers down center
- Toilet direct to your right when you enter.
- Shower beside vanity w/light.
- Light in center room? <-- unconfirmed.
- 42x60 Tub to the left
- Ledge

So you gain a basin which is handy, but what else are you gaining? Your Tub is the same size, your shower is the same size just relocated, toilet, same just relocated.

I am trying to understand why Mattamy is charging so much for a second basin...

CB