Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2012-06-16, 09:36 AM

Default Basement 3-piece rough-in

Quick question regarding a final decision that we're stuck on, for our structural upgrades. We're debating whether or not we pay the $500 for a 3-piece rough-in. I've heard that home owners often decide to change the location anyway when finishing the basement, and I'm wondering what the cost would be later.

I'm afraid though that without the rough-in I wouldn't have a vent for the future plumbing. Maybe I should pay $500 for a laundry sink instead, which would actually be functional until we someday finish the basement, and that way I'd get the vent too right?

Maybe someone can reassure me that I don't need either and that doing a bathroom down there some day will be easy anyway? Or even convince me the opposite perhaps, that the 3-piece rough-in is a good idea???

Thanks in advance!
Old 2012-06-16, 10:25 AM
Regular User

We were also thinking if we should go with this or not but in the end we called some contractors they said do it when you finish the basement, mostly you would want the bathroom in a different location so not worth it IMO.

Good Luck!
Old 2012-06-16, 01:40 PM
Regular User

I got both. The laundry tub is very handy for washing stuff you wouldn't normally wash on the upper levels such as paint brushes and dirty shoes. The rough in, you will probably have to relocate everything and I was told that it's cheaper to relocate than to start from scratch. If I could go back, I woud not have gone with the rough in. I have a smaller house and the bathroom would take up too much space IMO. My basement is still unfinished BTW.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2012-06-16, 11:06 PM
Regular User

Get the rough in and if you can get it exactly where you want it. I also echo bryan's comment re: laundry tubs and fixtures, well worth the money as he said gives you place to wash things you normally would not anywhere else.

As for doing it after the fact, yes of course you can, but 3 piece post construction rough in about 1500.00 and its a MESS, remember dig up the floor run pipes.

We have the rough in, finished our basment built the bathroom no fixtures however ready to roll for anyone that wants to put the crapper, sink and sconces and your are good to go.

If you have zero intention of EVER finishing the basement, then do not bother but its a nice to have for minimal cost IMO.
Old 2012-06-17, 06:23 AM
Regular User

My advice is get a 2 pc rough in and a basement laundry tub.