Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Real Estate Questions

Real Estate Questions Planning on selling your home? Looking to buy a resale? Post your comments and questions here.

Old 2014-04-01, 12:41 PM
Regular User

Default Selling our condo.....

Hi everyone!

We currently own a condo at Yonge and Sheppard (a 500 sq ft, 1 bedroom).

Our closing date is Sept 30th, 2014 and so far everything is on schedule.

Is it too soon to list it now? I'm not sure how quickly condos in our area sell for. Is there anything that we should know when staging it? Should we paint? Remove most of our personal belongings? Do any upgrades?

Progress thread: http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=22246
Old 2014-04-01, 12:53 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcintos View Post
Hi everyone!

We currently own a condo at Yonge and Sheppard (a 500 sq ft, 1 bedroom).

Our closing date is Sept 30th, 2014 and so far everything is on schedule.

Is it too soon to list it now? I'm not sure how quickly condos in our area sell for. Is there anything that we should know when staging it? Should we paint? Remove most of our personal belongings? Do any upgrades?
Declutter, depersonalize, remove any and all extra furniture and decor stuff and keep all the kids toys out of sight...dont spend on any expensive upgrades. Just a fresh coat of neutral paint color if needed

I dont have much knowledge of real estate but still it seems too early to list it but if you a place where you can stay for abt a couple of months then you may want to list it now

All the best!

progress thread
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=21560
Old 2014-04-01, 12:57 PM
Regular User

I've been following some on MLS that have seemed to be on the market a while. Our agent seems to think it will sell in a few days. So I'm always a worry wort and am concerned about how we'll close without the cash! :P

We are away for a week-end in mid-April, and have been told that early spring is a good time to list, so my husband thought it may be a good time to try. Not sure if people will buy with a 6 month closing date, but worst case my dad lives close to our new house and could put us up for a few months.

Old 2014-04-01, 01:10 PM
Regular User

Definitely declutter the place, make sure you don't feel any knee banging when you walk around. Try not to have anything that blocks sunlight, good lighting makes a condo feels bigger and more welcoming. Depersonalize it, so it is more appealing to the mass.

Deodourize the place, I am not saying "you smell" or anything, but most of the time, we cannot smell our own scent. At the same time, don't add any strong scent to the place like cologne or fragrance, you won't know if the buyer is allergic to anything or not.

Make sure the kitchen and bathroom is sparkling clean, a tidy/clean bathroom and kitchen sells much quicker and for more money. Why? I say those two places are the hardest to upkeep, but if you show the buyer you care about it, they can overlook other flaws.

As mentioned above, just a fresh coat of paint will do, in fact if your upkeep has been great, you might not even need that new coat of paint. Most of the time, buyers do expect to find holes and minor flaws after seller moves out, so they do repaint the place. But if your paint does look old and worn or outdated, it great to add a new coat of neutral color to match today's style and look updated. So paint is not a must, it depends on your current condition.

Lastly, just keep your desk/table/shelves organize, and don't crowd your closet with too much clothing. Let the buyer feel like there's enough closet space left even when you have enough clothing for the entire week.

If you get a realtor to get you a range, try to price in the middle and you'll be fine. I say condo waits a little longer than a house since there is always a lot available, but with your location, you should do fine. Sometimes condo can take less than a month, sometimes even 3 months. Depends on where is your price point within the range, and how presentable is your place compare to other listings for the similar price point.

I think if you start to slowly prepare for the listing now, you should list around May, and hope to sell for right price around June/July and demand a 60/90 possession.

Best of luck!
Old 2014-04-01, 01:17 PM
Regular User

This is as it stands today:

Don't mind the crappy iphone photos. Any advice on what we should do? Our paint was done 5 years ago, so there are scratches and dings where the bed/table was for example. Besides replacing personal photos with some scenery ones, anything else we should do to get max value?

Old 2014-04-01, 02:21 PM
Regular User

I would remove the office desk to make more space and paint a lighter color on the walls in living area
And nothing on the counters

progress thread
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=21560
Old 2014-04-01, 02:25 PM
Regular User

We probably still have some leftover lighter grey paint, so maybe we could paint that darker charcoal wall, touch up the spots that need to be done, and of course remove all the personal items off the counters and bathroom.

It's hard to remove the desk when we live there, as my husband spends all his time there (and my desk is in the master bedroom).....we don't have a tv or a coffee table so would removing it seem too plain?

Old 2014-04-01, 05:20 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

IMO, I'd list in Early June, that's typically when people start looking for homes.

- I'd give the wall a fresh coat of paint in a lighter color
- Decluter
- Remove pictures
- Remove area rug
- Remove the computer table & chair
- Change the lighting fixture in the living area w/ a good looking/cost friendly fixture
- Change shower curtain to something lighter/clear type since it's a small space it would prob look kinda dark
- I'd flip the couch to behind the countertop/dishwasher facing the windows so when you walk in you won't see a couch blocking the floors n such.
Old 2014-04-01, 07:08 PM
Regular User

Prime real estate season is March to May. Most people who buy/ sell during this time have a June closing (60-90 day).

People typically move at the end of June, when kiddies are out of school.

With that said you may want to list now. But then again, I'm not an expert in the condo market.

With respect to staging you may want to depersonalize your home (remove family pics from walls - they're beautiful btw and replace with art work).