Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-04-09, 10:45 PM
Regular User

Default Upgrades - After closing?

Hi all,

We are trying to calculate our new home purchase and factor in upgrades,etc. and determine what we should do through the builder and what we could do cheaper afterwards (without much trouble or expense)

Are these upgrades we can do after closing?

Chimney style hood fan (2166)
Insulated garage door (588)
Granite in master bath with undermount sink (1350)
Stone fireplace floor to ceiling (1635)
Glass shower enclosure (5014)

Thanks!
Old 2014-04-09, 11:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMEKAI View Post
Hi all,

We are trying to calculate our new home purchase and factor in upgrades,etc. and determine what we should do through the builder and what we could do cheaper afterwards (without much trouble or expense)

Chimney style hood fan (2166)can be really expensive to do after. You have to take in to consideration the cabinet finishing, widening etc.
Insulated garage door (588)
Granite in master bath with undermount sink (1350)we went with builder as it was comparable and less headache. I would also recommend 2 sinks.
Stone fireplace floor to ceiling (1635)we are doing this after.
Glass shower enclosure (5014) get done now. Not easy to do after at all.

Thanks!
I answered in red.

Mattamy HMB Phase 2
Willowbrook elevation B
Closing date May 29, 2014
Old 2014-04-10, 08:12 AM
Regular User

See below.

Quote:
Hi all,

Chimney style hood fan (2166) Depends. Is there a backsplash, crown or valence? Width is usually still 30" but cabinet finishing will determine. Could be done after but typically easier through builder.
Insulated garage door (588) I presume for a double - not unreasonably priced.
Granite in master bath with undermount sink (1350) Could be done after but get a quote from a granite place, will also need a plumber if you can't do yourself.
Stone fireplace floor to ceiling (1635) After, but depending on the price of stone and the height (assume 9') you'll likely be about $1000 for material alone.
Glass shower enclosure (5014) Builder. Likely involve significant work. Tile, floor, plumbing, drywall and paint, trim...

Thanks!

Old 2014-04-10, 09:48 AM
Regular User

The only item on your list that doesn't require a lot of work to replace after closing is the garage door. A simple pop one out and pop a new one in its place. Just keep in mind that if you are looking for a quote for after closing that you will need to request an "all in" quote:
  • Remove current door
  • Price for new door, plus HST
  • Installation for new door, plus HST
  • Disposal of old door

Also keep in mind that this new door will not be warranted by the builder, but by the garage door manufacturer and installer.

To install the granite with under mount sink in your ensuite, you will need to make sure that any quote includes:
  • Removal of existing counter, sink and faucet,
  • Purchase and install of granite, plus HST
  • Purchase and install of under mount sink, plus HST
  • Plumber to make sink and faucet connections (the under mount sink may not line up with the existing plumbing and may require that all the plumbing under the sink be replaced - this happened to us with our kitchen)
  • Paint touch ups and any wall repairs that may be necessary (it is quite common for wall damage to occur during the installation of the original counter top material)
Old 2014-04-11, 02:04 PM
Regular User

Chimney style hood fan (2166) - You could ask the builder/decor center about it & maybe they could finish off the cabinets in a way so you can install a chimney hood after.

Insulated garage door (588) - I don't think many people usually upgrade their garage door, but call garage guys & ask them how much it would cost to do it after, maybe you can get a fancier door & more selections after closing.

Granite in master bath with undermount sink (1350) - After is more selection, depends on the amount of granite you need tho.

Stone fireplace floor to ceiling (1635) - Go to tile stores check out stones, then search a handyman maybe on Kijiji & ask how much they charge for labor.

Glass shower enclosure (5014) - $5k !! for a glass shower no thanks, I rather spend it on upgrades, in reality no one sits in your bathroom & stares at the glass enclosure all day, you look at it the first couple days of moving in, then everyone just forgets about it.

These are all my opinion tho everyone has different views.
Old 2014-04-11, 02:16 PM
Regular User

Agreed. 5014 is obscene.

Old 2014-04-13, 07:51 AM
Regular User

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

I completely agree that $5100 is obscene! It's one of those upgrades tho that it is hard to envision how the bathroom would look with a solid wall for the shower. The shower is in the middle of the bathroom and the glass allows you to see the entire bathroom. With a wall there, it would cut the bathroom in half. I'm hoping that someone builds a Parkside without the glass enclosure so we can see pictures....we won't be having our design centre appt for months so I have time to convince my man that this is way too overpriced!
Old 2014-04-13, 01:51 PM

I agree the glass enclosure seems expensive. I guess it depends on the house.
We are getting a glass enclosure for our shower but we bought a Wildflower. Cost is $2692. We had glass shower doors installed in our current condo and it was less than $2000.
Old 2014-04-13, 02:56 PM

That price for the shower is insane. We were quoted 2k for a 5x4 double sided glass shower which we will do. Tiling for the shower is another 1k.

We were quoted 1.5k for 9 feet of granite and for two undermount sinks which we are doing as well.

The fireplace quote is fair. If you do it aftermarket with a contractor you will save a few hundred, but if you buy the material and diy which is super easy you will save even more.
Old 2014-04-13, 05:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

I completely agree that $5100 is obscene! It's one of those upgrades tho that it is hard to envision how the bathroom would look with a solid wall for the shower. The shower is in the middle of the bathroom and the glass allows you to see the entire bathroom. With a wall there, it would cut the bathroom in half. I'm hoping that someone builds a Parkside without the glass enclosure so we can see pictures....we won't be having our design centre appt for months so I have time to convince my man that this is way too overpriced!

I can send you a picture a picture of that as well... Will PM you.