Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-06-03, 09:17 PM
Regular User

Default Vynle siding

I think ill contact mattamy about my siding, I'm pretty sure i may not be getting the A-team installing at my lot. The siding it self is looking good but the window trim looks like arse. Instead of nice 45degree joints like the other houses in the area i have 2 strips of straight aluminum going up and down and then 2 going across the top and bottom with "SILVER" sheet metal screws securing the stuff to the house.. Also the install is not square the top and bottom piece overhang the side piece 1/4" to 1/2" in some places
Ill get pics next time I'm out.... I'm pretty sure at the exterior design visit silver was not part of the color palate we chose from...

Is it possible that this is not the finished product? Should i talk to the builder now or wait till they are 100% finished the exterior?
Old 2009-06-03, 09:22 PM
Regular User

Default Vinyl Siding

I'd speak to them now. Why wait till the workers are somewhere else.

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Old 2009-06-03, 09:28 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
I think ill contact mattamy about my siding, I'm pretty sure i may not be getting the A-team installing at my lot. The siding it self is looking good but the window trim looks like arse. Instead of nice 45degree joints like the other houses in the area i have 2 strips of straight aluminum going up and down and then 2 going across the top and bottom with "SILVER" sheet metal screws securing the stuff to the house.. Also the install is not square the top and bottom piece overhang the side piece 1/4" to 1/2" in some places
Ill get pics next time I'm out.... I'm pretty sure at the exterior design visit silver was not part of the color palate we chose from...

Is it possible that this is not the finished product? Should i talk to the builder now or wait till they are 100% finished the exterior?

Hey TKG26, I'm a siding installer myslef and that is not the way it should be done. On aluminum window trims there should be 45 degree angles on all corners, and they should be overlapped properly to insure and nice look and mainly so water doesn't get inside them....bottom piece first, then sides, then the top piece.
And as for the screws, they make them in every colour that is available to go along with aluminum. There is no need to use silver screws with white windows or any other colour.
Old 2009-06-11, 11:31 PM
Regular User

Thanks WCN, my budy who also does siding said the same thing....

UPDATE: I never talked to the builder, i was waiting for the job to be done before opening my mouth.... I walk through the house every day so i did not want to nit pick while things are not really done................
Well tonight i go by and all of the siding was taken down! As was the window trimmings...... And new siding was going up... The windows where getting the 45degree cuts.... Looks like someone in charge saw the crap job and had it removed.! Yeh! Big thumbs up for mattamy quality control..(i mean that)
Old 2009-06-12, 09:37 AM
Regular User

Despite the negativity on here all the time, they are improving.
Old 2009-06-12, 10:42 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
Despite the negativity on here all the time, they are improving.
The builder I had was VERY good. there were a couple issues we saw that they addressed before we could raise them during the construction phase.
Old 2009-06-17, 10:44 PM
Regular User

Talked to the guy that re-did the siding. Lets just say that the company that did mine did 2 others that where FUBAR..... I believe they did 3 in the area and those where there last jobs... The guy that re did the work said his boss noticed the mess and asked what could be done to fix the problem.. The installers answer.. "take it down and start over" Mike holmes style!!

Anyway things are looking pretty good now.... less then a month!! WOOHOO