Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2009-11-29, 01:06 AM
Regular User

Default TV Placement in Great Room

We recently bought a Tartan Beckwith in Findlay Creek and we have to submit our structural changes soon. One of our concerns is where to put a TV in the great room. It will not be our primary TV room, but since it is a room we are likely to spend some time in, we would like to have one of our TVs in there. Problem is the setup. Most of the walls in the great room are half walls, leaving almost nowhere to wall mount a TV. I don't typically like the look or the viewing angle of above the fireplace, but it may be our only option. The bonus would be that we could watch from the kitchen as well.

Has anyone got suggestions for locating TVs in "not-so-great-for-TVs" great rooms? We will be putting a smaller LCD in the room...either our 40" or 46".

The saleslady at Tartan suggested above the fireplace and suggested adding bracing above the fireplace. Aren't there wall studs above the fireplace? Also, does anyone know what is done for running cables and power to a TV above the fireplace. I wondering how involved this is.

Thanks!
Old 2009-11-29, 08:59 AM
Regular User

We placed our tv above the fireplace in the Tartan Ellis connected single.
Here is a picture of a 46" over the standard fireplace (though now in Tartan's connected singles, there is no tile around the fp).

We did buy the extra mount support. The thing is, the studs are certain distances apart (ours were 16") and if they're not positioned just right for your tv mount, you might not have a whole lot of extra support. Also, the mounting system came as part of a package that included an outlet behind where the tv would go as well as conduit to the basement that we've used to put our boxes downstairs and out of view. We also purchased extra cat5 outlets for behind that tv and that was for the infrared system we used.

The tv we chose was a Samsung LN46 B610. It has a more matte finish on the screen which is helpful to reduce glare, as our great room has windows on two walls with the fireplace wall coming out at a 45-dgree angle from the patio door wall. We've been really happy with it.

I should also add that the mount we bought has a tilt, and I think that makes a big difference in how comfortable it is to watch.

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...
Old 2009-11-29, 06:50 PM
Regular User

I would suggest that you move the fireplace to the long outside wall. Center it against the wall and build some built-ins around it. That way you can place your tv at whatever height is best for you. There are lots of options out there - just depends on your budget. Here are some examples:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherry built ins around fireplace.JPG
Views:	729
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	5214   Click image for larger version

Name:	fireplace_5_18.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	5215   Click image for larger version

Name:	std_fireplace_with_book_she.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	5216  
Old 2009-11-30, 10:57 AM
Regular User

Foxborough - I loved your idea. I hadn't thought about moving the fireplace to the outside wall. Wife didn't go for it, but I thought it was brilliant

Noordinaryotter - Thanks for the picture. Tartan singles have the fireplace at the floor and do have the tiles, as well as a mantle. The TV might have to be mounted fairly high. The saleslady mentioned the conduit and that it could go to either the basement or anywhere we want our equipment. She didn't really explain what this conduit is. As this will not be our primary TV, it will just have a satellite receiver and bluray. What does this conduit look like and how many cables can it accomodate? How do you run IR via cat5? I currently have a UHF remote for sat receiver and our bluray player uses a bluetooth remote, so line of sight is not an issue. However, it is always nice to future proof....may have some IR controlled equipment some day.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 2009-11-30, 11:01 AM
Regular User

You can run HDMI over twin CAT5e, and you can do component/IR extensions over single CAT5.

I will be mounting all the AV equipment in the built-in cabinets, and extending everything to the TV so that all the components are hidden.

Old 2009-11-30, 11:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
You can run HDMI over twin CAT5e, and you can do component/IR extensions over single CAT5.

I will be mounting all the AV equipment in the built-in cabinets, and extending everything to the TV so that all the components are hidden.
So you need how many CAT5(e) connections behind your TV? Two for each HDMI and one for each component that operates from IR remote, provided it takes Cat5 input?

I am planning on finishing a home theatre in the basement, so the great room will be a pretty simple setup...likely just two HDMI cables (sat and bluray).
Old 2009-11-30, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Okay, this has now fallen over into a technology discussion.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-11-30, 11:49 AM
Administrator

As was mentioned, you can run HDMI over a pair of cat5e wires with the appropriate devices on each end to properly fit HDMI over cat5e. Note: This can be a hit or miss situation as HDMI is a pain in the ass and modulating it to something else is not always a good idea.

You can run IR over cat5e (or any other pair of conductors) by using an IR repeater. Essentially place an IR eye in a convienient location to point your remote at, and then run wire from that location to the location of all your components where you will have a connecting block to bounce the IR signal out to various devices. Traditionally I use Russound and Xantechs IR repeaters.

Done this many times, however it is now losing out to just using Radio Frequency based remotes. I usually use Universal Remote Controlls MX880 with an RF base station and just starting to use the new Nevo C3 remotes.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-11-30, 11:54 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by juno View Post
So you need how many CAT5(e) connections behind your TV? Two for each HDMI and one for each component that operates from IR remote, provided it takes Cat5 input?

I am planning on finishing a home theatre in the basement, so the great room will be a pretty simple setup...likely just two HDMI cables (sat and bluray).
Run conduit, then fish your wire inside the conduit. Do not get the builder to run the drops for you.

In my case, I will need four (sorry i miscounted). This is the device I'm referring to http://cgi.ebay.ca/Component-Video-A...item45ef833768

Old 2009-11-30, 12:00 PM
Regular User

Do you have to mount the TV? Personally, I would put the entertainment unit at the kitchen half wall. This leaves you with a tonne of options for furniture placement.