Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-09-28, 10:10 PM
Regular User

Talking Our Tamarack Lakewood (HMB) - Progress thread!!

So, although we are still a while away from our design centre appointments, we are trying to be as prepared as possible for that. Living near the design centre sure helps, but I would like some feedback from other people who have bought our model (as well as ideas in general).

1. What upgrades did you get that you really liked?

2. What upgrades did you get that don't seem that important now that you are in the house?

3. What upgrades did you forgo, and now wish you had taken?

4. What upgrades did you do to the kitchen?

5. Did anyone move the fridge?

StrayCat, I remember you saying that you moved the island forward so you could open the fridge door. I can see why you did it (the model in JT doesn't open the freezer door all the way). How far did you move it?

6. Did you do tile or hardwood in the kitchen?

7. Anything else I'm forgetting?

First closing date: June 30, 2011.

Last edited by Yume; 2010-10-29 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Changing topic title
Old 2010-09-29, 12:11 AM
Regular User

Increasing the cabinet depth over the fridge is my most worth while upgrade in the kitchen. It's full of my tupperware and plastic containers. It doesn't seem like it will run out of room. The only drawback is that I need a chair to get up there. My least favourite upgrade is the vac pan, I barely use it surprisingly.

Look at your blue prints and see where it would be a good ideal to add electrical outlets. Maybe a soffit plug on a switch for Christmas lights.

Do have room in your ensuite for a second sink?

Potlights over the shower and bath tubs are handy.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-09-29, 12:07 PM
Regular User

Thank you!

We are definitely doing the deeper fridge cabinet.

When you say vac pan, do you mean a toe kick?

I haven't had a chance to look at the blueprints in detail, but I'm counting on at least 5 additional plugs (plus two freezer plugs in the basement).

The soffit plug is a great idea! Should we get one for the back of the house, too?

We do have room for a second sink, and we're seriously considering it, since it's a free upgrade.

Suggestions for potlight locations noted. We are also asking for a capped light with switch on the top of the basement stairs.

Old 2010-09-29, 12:24 PM
Regular User

I'm not in the house yet, but to build on Brian's list, here are a few things.

- conduits. I hate seeing wires, so adding conduits for the TV was really important for me.
- extra pots/pans drawers. We added a second set of pots and pans drawers. One set, IMHO, is not enough.
- moving switches. when you check out the blueprints, scrutinize where each and every switch is. I moved or added 5 switches in our house just because they either a) didn't make sense or b) just weren't condusive to our use.
Old 2010-09-29, 12:31 PM
Regular User

Thank you. I will really pay attention to the switches. I've lived in houses were they didn't make sense, and it get annoying.

We'll definitely be getting conduits (and extra outlets). My husband wants to have the whole house networked and work on some home automation stuff after we move in.

We get a set of pot drawers already? I definitely want two. And pull-out trays. We've looked at Muskoka's stuff, and it's awesome.

Old 2010-09-29, 12:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume View Post
We get a set of pot drawers already? I definitely want two. And pull-out trays. We've looked at Muskoka's stuff, and it's awesome.
You'll have to check w/ Muskoka for sure, but I'm pretty sure each kitchen they do comes with one set of pots and pans drawers.

Also, in speaking about cabinets, you likely will get an option of switching out medicine cabinets for a bank of drawers at a minimal cost. We're not huge fans of medicine cabinets, so we did that and added a bank of drawers in each of our full bathrooms upstairs. I think the cost to change a medicine cabinet to a bank of drawers was $80?
Old 2010-09-29, 12:54 PM
Regular User

Yeah, I saw that in BrianT's thread, and we are definitely doing that in both bathrooms.

We recently bought this cabinet from Ikea to get rid of some clutter on our counter, and it looks really nice: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40089712, so that can serve as an extra cabinet if we feel the need.

Someone mentioned deleting the mirrors because they are glued to the wall and hard to remove afterwards. Would that be a good idea?

Old 2010-09-29, 12:55 PM
Regular User

some ideas >>

oversize basement window so its a legal point of egress

upgrade to foam in the master bedroom floor and all around the rim joists so its not freezing

ask for an extra layer of 5/8 drywall on the master bedroom common wall for sound dampening

is there an hrv in this house?

a gas line and electrical rough in for the basement fireplace - if not fully installed - if the basement is finished

upgrade the bathroom fans to panasonic - very quiet and the higher cfm the better where there are showers

Last edited by good2know; 2010-09-29 at 01:12 PM. Reason: add info
Old 2010-09-29, 01:47 PM
Regular User

Yes, the vac pan is the toe kick.

I completely forgot about my second pots and pans drawer in the kitchen. I do use them just not very much as I don't cook at home often.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-09-29, 01:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume View Post
Someone mentioned deleting the mirrors because they are glued to the wall and hard to remove afterwards. Would that be a good idea?
We personally left the mirrors, but yeah, if you plan on changing them, just delete them now to save yourselves the hassle.

We delete the toilet paper holders and towel bars. Those are glued to the wall too and are a pain in the butt to remove afterwards.