Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Durham Region > Durham - General

Durham - General For residents of and soon-to-be residents of Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering, Uxbridge, and Scugog

Old 2010-12-28, 12:59 PM

Default Mulberry Meadows - Basement size/Laundry

Hi.
I am scheduled to move into one of the birch models in Feb 2011. I noticed early on in construction that laundry was roughed in upstairs beside the master, not in the basement. This was an upgrade option I didn't get (too expensive). At first I thought this was an error (score!), but over the last weekend I noticed the furnace & hot water tank have been installed in the basement and there is no way you could do laundry down there.
1 - the furnace is installed directly in front of the last stair, blocking the entrance (you have to side step off the bottom step to get around it).
2 - with all the ducts/piping/etc, I have to seriously duck to get to the back of the basement where the laundry would be (I'm 5"3, by no means tall). All the units under construction around me seem to be the same. Has anyone else had this issue (especially the birch model)?
Thanks
Old 2010-12-29, 10:31 AM
Regular User

The basements are VERY small, I have a birch model but my samsung front loaders do fit side by side. But the way they have planned the basements with all the trades trying to cram in their stuff ie. the furnace and such is brutal.

One thing you will miss is the space that the laundry will be taking away from you. In this model there is a double swing out linen closet in the hall right as you go up the stairs..It's huge! I love it, that is one of the main reasons I chose to put my laundry in the basement and not up stairs, cause really with a basement that small what the heck else would I use it for? lol

I would contact the builder about the furnace being in front of the stair case, that could be a hazard, tripping hazard even.

I wonder why they just put it upstairs automatically??
Old 2010-12-30, 06:54 PM

My father was checking out the place today (he works nearby) and actually spoke to the site supervisor about the furnace & water heater being in front of the stairs. He said they were nice and very helpful. They agreed it didn't make any sense to have it there and told him not to worry, they'd have it moved to the other side so the stairs weren't blocked. Phew!
Old 2011-01-03, 08:47 AM
Regular User

WEll that is good, cause clearly you cannot have them blocking the stairs..

I assume your house is on time and all? no delays
Old 2011-01-07, 02:19 PM

I was supposed to close in June, but I've had 2 delay. I guess I can't complain as I only bought the place in Nov 2009 (I know a lot of people bought in 2008 and experienced long delays). I am now on schedule to close in Feb (and haven't heard anything different at this point). Last I checked they had done all the drywall so shouldn't take to long (and when my father was speaking to the site supervisor he "unofficially" confirmed it should be done by early Feb.
Old 2011-01-07, 02:27 PM
Regular User

yeah i bought in 08' and was delayed...They seem to be chugging along now..
Old 2011-04-05, 01:38 PM
Regular User

Question as per the Birch model, now that you are moved in are you experiencing any issues with your dryer and the way it's vented?

And I am curious to know where they vented your dryer to the outside...?
Old 2011-04-25, 04:00 PM

Hi,
It was kind of a nightmare to get the washer and dryer into the linen closet (they will be sold with the house when I eventually move because they are never coming out of there). The vent that comes out of the ceiling into the linen closet is a bit flimsy and took some gentle hands to attach the vent hose from the dryer. Otherwise I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I'm not sure where my dryer vents, but since my laundry is on the upper floor it is connected to a fan (I have one in the bathroom and one in the linen closet).
Old 2011-04-26, 03:10 PM
Regular User

that's like our fridge. it definitely cannot make it out of our house again in one piece... if i ever buy another townhouse the kitchen and laundry have to be on the first floor. way too difficult to get large appliances up the stairs.
Old 2011-04-26, 03:20 PM
Regular User

Come hell or high water mine are coming with me! I got them for a steal on boxing day, and I love them he ehee