Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-04-28, 09:58 PM
Regular User

CND tire sold out of rain barrels today
Old 2011-04-28, 10:10 PM
Regular User

I went to the open house tonight and it was BUSY. The city was offering kits for water conservation (i.e. low flow shower head, some toilet tank bag (??) and a couple of other items) as well as pamphlet information and a comment questionnaire that I saw many many people filling out. I was at the back and couldn't see but heard the responses to some of the questions.

Admittedly, people were upset and at times, irate. I'm not a fan of Jan Harder and I didn't vote for her in the last municipal election and I felt that her responses to questions, were short and abrupt. But that's just me...

I was glad to see the number of people who came out to voice their opinions and try to get answers from city officials.
Old 2011-04-29, 09:56 AM
Regular User

I understand why this was done and have no issue with a water ban this summer as the work is completely necessary...means less planting and yard work this spring! (was going to get a free tree from city in a few weeks, not sure now)

What does get my goat is the way it was handled and the ban enforced without any time to prepare.

The city has basically treated us citizens as children unable to comprehend what may have to be done and plan accordingly in advance. Do they really thing that a few weeks ago when it was decided that a ban would have to go into place that we would all run out and water our lawns and wash our cars? Its April, and we have had record rainfalls.

This is unacceptable to me and not what I paid my 6k in taxes for.

Shame
Old 2011-04-29, 10:26 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2008 View Post
I understand why this was done and have no issue with a water ban this summer as the work is completely necessary...means less planting and yard work this spring! (was going to get a free tree from city in a few weeks, not sure now)

What does get my goat is the way it was handled and the ban enforced without any time to prepare.

The city has basically treated us citizens as children unable to comprehend what may have to be done and plan accordingly in advance. Do they really thing that a few weeks ago when it was decided that a ban would have to go into place that we would all run out and water our lawns and wash our cars? Its April, and we have had record rainfalls.

This is unacceptable to me and not what I paid my 6k in taxes for.

Shame
Totally agree.

The city came up everything to get our property tax up, but comes to service, it's just dissappointed. Did they really think about all the solutions?

An absolute ban on all outdoor use — it's ridiculous to me. In Florida, residents cope with water shortages by observing a two-day-a-week limit on lawn-watering. That would be acceptable.
Old 2011-04-29, 10:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjc View Post
I think the real hit will be to landscaping companies, garden centres, car washes - real businesses that will take real hits. Not being able to water your lawn is an issue, a much bigger one if your lawn is brand new. But losing your job because no one is buying your plants is a real problem.
"The city will spend about $415,000 to haul water to 16 garden centres in the area which rely on outdoor water use to maintain their garden products."

Big hit for businesses or residents?
Old 2011-04-29, 10:47 AM
Regular User

Now the issue with these garden centres is that who will now buy their inventory? Product already bought will go to waste as who in Barrhaven will go and buy flowers for their gardens? I certainly will not be buying any flowers/shurbs this year.
Old 2011-04-29, 05:07 PM
Regular User

I just picked up a huge barrel that was used to store onions/pickles at Cohen & Cohen on Bentley near Merivale for $16 + tax. Can't go wrong with that price.

Now I heard this may attract mosquitoes...do you guys have any tips to prevent/minimize that situation?
Old 2011-04-29, 06:53 PM
Regular User

I think I'm going to buy some landscaping plants in Barrhaven. Looks like they may be having a sale
Old 2011-04-29, 08:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Now I heard this may attract mosquitoes...do you guys have any tips to prevent/minimize that situation?
Try putting a cup of liquid dish soap in the barrel....you may have to refresh it every couple weeks. It also helps keep bugs off your plants when you use it to water. Don't use scented as it will attract wasps.
Old 2011-04-29, 09:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy33 View Post
"The city will spend about $415,000 to haul water to 16 garden centres in the area which rely on outdoor water use to maintain their garden products."

Big hit for businesses or residents?
yes, but who is going to buy flowers, shrubs, etc. if you can't water them?