Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-09-22, 08:12 AM
Regular User

Was originally thinking that too , but was informed that was a no go because the lot we have is a walkout and the heighth it would be at would require way too many stairs
At the side of the garage , near the front..the grading will be level...before starting it's downwards slope/grading..the only reason we are able to do it.

Tamarack, Jackson Trails
Old 2011-09-22, 09:00 AM
Regular User

suezieq4u, do you know how your basement is laid out with respect to the furnace, HRV and tankless water heater?

I know all my vents are coming out on one side of the house and the gas meter is right at the end of my garage so I wouldn't be able to add a side door there. Maybe the high cost is related to having to adjust the vent locations and move the gas meter?
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-09-22, 09:21 AM
Regular User

We had a side door into the mudroom added for the same reasons as you. It was about $1700 with Tartan.
Old 2011-09-22, 09:34 AM
Regular User

We also had a side door (with half window) added in the mudroom and Tamarack charged us $2400 (which includes light for outside, doorbell and cedar stairs)

Old 2011-09-22, 09:42 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_JenMc View Post
We had a side door into the mudroom added for the same reasons as you. It was about $1700 with Tartan.
You guys are a stone throws distance from our soon-to-be place.I did notice you guys are the only other person in Phase 4 w/side door..besides Lot 11..and you are same pricing as the others..

Did send an email off to builder asking them to re-chq pricing..and if pricing we were given..reason why $1000.00 more than everyone else
Have my fingers crossed

Tamarack, Jackson Trails
Old 2011-09-22, 09:46 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by benitol View Post
We also had a side door (with half window) added in the mudroom and Tamarack charged us $2400 (which includes light for outside, doorbell and cedar stairs)
That makes more sense.
Just wish Tamarack would've told us what comes w/the pricing..rather than make us guess
Will have to find out once the office re-opens this afternoon..

Tamarack, Jackson Trails
Old 2011-09-22, 09:58 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezieq4u View Post
That makes more sense.
Just wish Tamarack would've told us what comes w/the pricing..rather than make us guess
Will have to find out once the office re-opens this afternoon..
When we saw the price, we asked what was included for that price and we got them to write all that was included in the addendum (upgades list). If it's not on black and white, i wouldn't trust them...or any other builders...

Old 2011-09-22, 10:02 AM
Regular User

Hi there,

We were going to put the man door in the garage as well, but with the Essex's floor plan, we opted to do a door out the mudroom instead.

The door is going to be 1/2 solid, 1/2 glass and the same as the front door. They install a few risers to step down on to grade and add a light outside with a switch. This was a door in lieu of a window that was there.

This was a structural upgrade, and was $2400.00. We didn't want to do this after close as that 'to do' list is already quite long. I was told we were able to do this due to the size (pie shape) of the lot, so proximity to the property line sounds like it's also a factor.

At the end of the day, having a second door from a garage / mudroom is definitely a bonus.

Cheers
Old 2011-09-22, 01:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezieq4u View Post
You guys are a stone throws distance from our soon-to-be place.I did notice you guys are the only other person in Phase 4 w/side door..besides Lot 11..and you are same pricing as the others..

Did send an email off to builder asking them to re-chq pricing..and if pricing we were given..reason why $1000.00 more than everyone else
Have my fingers crossed
Yes, we are right across the street! We were always coming in out of the front door at our last place and it felt like the front door was always a mess. So this is the one up grade we were going to get no matter the cost!

Our price includes the 1/2 glass door, light and a step.
Old 2011-09-23, 11:44 PM
Regular User

we did the same model (bradbury) in findlay creek. we replaced the mudroom window with a door. if i remember correct it was $2400.....