Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2012-12-03, 10:51 AM
Regular User

the TV is 14.33lbs. ok now i'm confused. not sure if I should use the lags or not. somepeople say to use them and some people say to not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
Doesn't mean you need to use them. It's a universal kit.

Is your 32" heavier than you?

btw. The lags that come with the mounts have been known to snap on installation. Don't use them!
Old 2012-12-03, 11:06 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
the TV is 14.33lbs. ok now i'm confused. not sure if I should use the lags or not. somepeople say to use them and some people say to not.
You could always go to Home Depot and buy new lag bolts if you don't trust the ones that came with the mount.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2012-12-03, 11:24 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
the TV is 14.33lbs.
14lbs you definitely don't need lags. Four #10, 3.5" wood screws into the studs will be more than sufficient.
Old 2012-12-03, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Ugh.

Alright..

Use lag bolts. Why? Because that's what it comes with. Use a stud finder to find each edge of the stud, then drill a hole in the center to the depth of the drill bit. The diameter on the drill bit needs to be smaller than the diameter of the lag.

I have never ever split a stud before and I've put in thousands of lags for TVs and GDOs in the last 8 years.

If you have an impact driver, use that to put the lags in. If not, then a drill on a high torque setting. Or failing that, a socket wrench.

If you want to use screws, great, go to the store and buy some. Just make sure the heads on them are large enough to not pull through the holes on the bracket, or you will have to get some washers to fix that.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2012-12-03, 02:16 PM
Regular User

ok lags it is. thanks everyone.
Old 2012-12-03, 02:24 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Lag bolts are overkill and not necessary. Even today's 55" LED TVs are only 36lbs. (Samsung 7500). Check the specs for your TV to find the weight.

I mounted a 55" LED using four large shank, 3.5" wood screws. 3" into the stud, .5" drywall. A sufficient sized wood screw driven 3" into the stud will support up to 200lbs each x 4 is 800lbs. Predrill first.

If you use lag bolts you have a greater chance of splitting the 2x4 and weakening it ruining any chance of securing the mount properly.
It should be noted that there is a lot more that needs to be taken into account with your calulation there. I will not profess to know the exact answer but also consider this.

If the mount is non-extending, then you should be looking also at the sheer-strength of the screw (this is why they include lag-bolts) not the hold (which is more a value if the thing you are trying to screw in it on the ceiling).

If the bracket does extend, what is required to hold the mount to the wall is multiplied by the distance it extends from the wall. Kind of like the claw on a hammer or a crowbar - the longer it is, the easier it is to pull the nail out.

I am not a physicist, I do not know the answer but I do know that there is more involved here.

I would be more apt to trust the instructions which (in theory) have been vetted to some extent.
Old 2012-12-03, 06:00 PM
Regular User

that makes alot of sense. and it is an extending mount. thanks
Old 2012-12-03, 06:14 PM
Regular User

homie how big are the screws that came with the kit?
Old 2012-12-04, 01:11 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpl View Post
If the bracket does extend, what is required to hold the mount to the wall is multiplied by the distance it extends from the wall. Kind of like the claw on a hammer or a crowbar - the longer it is, the easier it is to pull the nail out.

I am not a physicist, I do not know the answer but I do know that there is more involved here.
Ok, I agree there is more to consider but we're talking about a 32" tv which is about 20 lbs. Four 3.5" #10 wood screws (with washers) driven 3" into a stud will hold a heck of a lot of weight.

And I know I drive Greg nuts when this topic comes up but consider this. What is holding up your kitchen cabinets? 4 screws. Consider how much that upper cabinet extended 13" out from the wall weighs when loaded with dishes and shelving. A lot more than a flat panel TV.
Old 2012-12-04, 09:57 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Ok, I agree there is more to consider but we're talking about a 32" tv which is about 20 lbs. Four 3.5" #10 wood screws (with washers) driven 3" into a stud will hold a heck of a lot of weight.

And I know I drive Greg nuts when this topic comes up but consider this. What is holding up your kitchen cabinets? 4 screws. Consider how much that upper cabinet extended 13" out from the wall weighs when loaded with dishes and shelving. A lot more than a flat panel TV.
Yeah, it is still all about lever principles – fulcrums and such.

There are two forces acting here.
The holding force – the screw
The pulling force – gravity

These forces are strengthened by increasing the distance between the force and the fulcrum (like a wheelbarrow).

There is still lever action going on with the cabinets but the holding force is strengthened by the distance from the top of the cabinet to the bottom (the fulcrum). This is what? (Usually 30”?) The force that is going to pull the top screws out is strengthened by the distance from the front of the cabinet to the back. Mine are 12" but I will give you 13". The cabinet, itself, actually strengthens the holding power (or decreases the pulling power, who knows – again not a physicist).

With the tv mount, it likely only has a distance from the top screw to the fulcrum (bottom of the mounting plate) of maybe 8”. Still, if it extends, it likely can stick out as far as the cabinet (13”). This needs to be overcome – most easily with more screws.

Once you have looked after the force that is going to pull out that screw, then you can start talking about the shear strength of the screws. That is where the argument about four screws holding up a cabinet will most useful.