Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2012-12-14, 07:54 AM
Regular User

Thanks. I haven't been in that part but will check it out.
Old 2012-12-14, 07:55 AM
Regular User

Is there more than one bridge over there?
Old 2012-12-14, 08:10 AM
Regular User

Hi Sue,

We are at 3065 Ferguson...just before the big bend in Ferguson...here's a map of where we are:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=3065+F...gl=ca&t=m&z=16

Two houses over from ours, there is a walkway from Ferguson to the pond, then directly to the left, there is a bridge that takes you over towards Capri Crescent. It was that bridge that the cat was heading towards. My husband tried to call Mali's name from the window to see if he got a reaction, but a lady walking her dogs was approaching and spooked the cat.

I hope it was Mali that we saw and that you are able to find him - we know what an important part of a family pets are
Old 2012-12-14, 08:34 AM
Regular User

Good Luck Sue.
It's been a month that Stanley has been missing, off out again shortly for another look around. I hope it is Mali and you get him home in time for Christmas.
Old 2012-12-14, 08:35 AM
Regular User

Thank you so much for the lead. I tried that bridge first and then behind walmart and then down to the other bridge (which I now know is technically not behind Ferguson) No cat. but at least I know where to focus my search.

I've been told that orange fluffy cats aren't common so this is good news. I was worried he made it across dundas.

If you see him again, please post here or email me sueis@live.ca or best yet call 647-470-1710. I don't care what time of day.
Old 2012-12-14, 09:15 AM
Regular User

Hi,
I saw an orange cat on Wednesday night, around 12:30 am, near a house that is 2 down from the bridge connecting Ferguson to Sharp Road, on the Sharp Road side of the bridge.

Sounds like you should search between the bridges on Ferguson, and into the fields behind Walmart. Hope you find your cat!
Old 2012-12-14, 10:28 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
Hi,
I saw an orange cat on Wednesday night, around 12:30 am, near a house that is 2 down from the bridge connecting Ferguson to Sharp Road, on the Sharp Road side of the bridge.

Sounds like you should search between the bridges on Ferguson, and into the fields behind Walmart. Hope you find your cat!
Sue, does Mali have any favourite treats that might encourage him to come to us if we do see him again? Will he answer to his name?
Old 2012-12-14, 11:40 AM
Regular User

Mali LOVES food. Smelly cat food. Heck he will even eat cat food that has gone bad ... though with the zillion bunnies in the area he may not resort to that. For myself, he would come when I shake a bag of those Temptations cat treats. I have a bag that I can drop off for you. I can also offer some cans of cat food.

With regards to him responding to his name, that is a tough one. I had him trained that at my old house he would come galloping towards me when I would call his name.... Except this one time about a km away from my home I saw him and got out of my car and called his name. He didn't come at first, but meowed like he was confused until I said his name about ten more times, then he sheepishly came out from under a bush.

I am not sure if he will come if someone else calls his name as it took him two years to just start to warm up to other people in my house. But it is worth a shot. I call it in a singing fashion. And food is a very persuasive tool.

Ugh I am kind of kicking myself as I stopped the posters literally one block west of that area. I had tried really large posters at all the exits, but the weather kept taking them down. I have been up for over 24 hours right now and really need to get some sleep. This evening I'll plaster your area with my smaller posters as well as the trail. If you or you know of someone who has seen Mali on their property I would love their permission to place a humane trap there to catch him as short for me being there to coax him that might be the only way.

This is hopefully turning out to be a really good day.
Old 2012-12-16, 05:24 AM
Regular User

Darn it! I am 99.5% sure I saw him on Sharp running south from the bridge that connects Sharp to Ferguson. I was on the middle of the bridge and it was night and dark, but he looked orange and had just the right amount of shag and had a long body like Mali. I couldn't call too loud being it 4 am, so I called quietly and ran towards Sharp. By the time I got there he vanished. Looked and called but nothing.

There is a good chance that he has reverted back to his little scared self from when I first rescued him from homelessness.

I'm going to keep trying in the area and hopefully get a volunteer or two that will allow me to set a human trap on their property and that might be the only way to get him.
Old 2012-12-17, 08:24 AM
Regular User

We didn't see the cat that we think is Mali again this weekend - I do have a bag of Temptations handy though in case we do.

Our backyard is pretty animal-proof, so I don't think a cat would be able to get in. You are welcome to put a humane trap directly behind our yard though (we back onto the green space) and attach it to our chain link fence so that it doesn't disappear. We are more than happy to keep an eye out for any critters (cat or other) that may find their way into the trap...if you catch a skunk though, you are on your own!!