Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-06-17, 08:34 AM

Default Townhouse, easement and fences

What do most people do with their fence situation when in a townhouse?

Do most people just allow access through their own backyard in order to have the largest possible yard? Or do people get an easement (ie. fenced in smaller yard) made for their interior units to walk through, but have a smaller backyard?
Old 2019-06-17, 09:28 AM
Regular User

If I'm on the end, I would fence off the yard so no one walks through the yard to use the easement.

If an interior unit (and no one has access through this property) I would fence to the back lot line, and put the access gate to my yard on the side.
Old 2019-06-17, 01:23 PM

I'm in an interior townhouse now and we have the easement through our back yard (two gates at the back of each yard) and I don't mind it. In 5 years I've only ever seen the easement used once, for my neighbour to get some work done on their deck. With a young child we like having the little bit of extra yard space, but I guess it depends on your neighbours. I would probably feel differently if I had a neighbour that was constantly going back and forth through the yard, or if I was on the corner lot and had the only access to the back.
Old 2019-06-17, 06:40 PM
Regular User

We fenced to the back on our interior townhouse. We did make sure to have self-closing gates just in case since we have kids and a dog.

The one set of neighbors who needed to use ours did so a few times each month for the three years we lived there (mowing the lawn, building gardens, delivering patio furniture, etc.)

It didn't bother us to have them in/out of the backyard but we rarely sat out there and we needed the extra space for the dog. We also built the fence together with our whole block of townhomes and the one behind us so it kind of seemed like a silly extra cost to all build our own back fence. And then we'd have to walk all the way around to take care of our easement too...