Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-12-19, 08:03 PM
Regular User

Default Internet Provider

I believe this has already been discussed but I thought I'll ask this again. As most of you know, Bell is not offering its services for a new houses in a Chapman Mills (ie no phone, no internet). I'm currently using high speed sympatico and I'm trying to decide what provider should I go with that offers high speed internet (with a decent speed) for a reasonable price. I'm not really keen on going with Rogers

Is there any other way to get internet other then cable/phone line?

tia
Old 2007-12-19, 08:49 PM
Regular User

As long as you have a clear line of sight to one of their towers, Storm is an option (www.storm.ca). I have a friend who lives in the Richmond area and has been quite pleased with the service.
Old 2007-12-19, 08:54 PM
Regular User

You may want to look into Primus. If it is available in your area, their bundles are super cheap and you get airmiles too.

Old 2007-12-19, 09:25 PM
Regular User

How is the bandwidth and the internet speed for Primus?
Old 2007-12-19, 10:51 PM
Regular User

Just a word of caution regarding Primus

We made a mistake of switching to Primus in the summer of 2005, thinking that we would save a few bucks and get the AirMiles. Perhaps the AirMiles is the only good part, long story short, the Internet was consistently down and the tech support was clueless.

That was 2 years ago, i don't know if the service has been improved since but I would not go back there, if they pay me.

You might want to look at Magma and some other smaller shops. CanadianISP is a good website with a lot of info.

I have all my services with Rogers and have nothing major to complain so far. The Internet has been up for the most part and to me that's important, I do a lot of troubleshooting at the office and the last thing I want is having to do that with my Internet at home.
Old 2007-12-20, 09:05 AM
Regular User

Cybersurf is an alternative for you, as they provide cable internet and digital home phone; since you can't get any telephone lines in. (Doesn't Primus use the telepohne line?).

http://www.cybersurf.ca/
5mbps for $24.95 or $34.95 for 7mbps
Or
Take their home phone $39.95 and get free high speed internet:
https://www.cia.com/comparePrices.do
Old 2007-12-20, 10:59 AM
Regular User

Bah stay away from CIA!

We use Teksavvy.com for our internet service out of Toronto. Great tech support, no throttling and I think 200GB cap... but I download lots of stuff and haven't had a problem yet.
Old 2007-12-20, 11:21 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by north59 View Post
Bah stay away from CIA!

We use Teksavvy.com for our internet service out of Toronto. Great tech support, no throttling and I think 200GB cap... but I download lots of stuff and haven't had a problem yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Teksavvy.com offers DSL. DSL needs a telephone line, right? mato0107 said his house won't have a telephone line, so DSL won't work there. I have Rogers and prefer it but I'm just exploring alternatives for him since he doesn't want Rogers.
Old 2007-12-20, 11:27 AM
Regular User

Is there any other option? What I was thinking any wireless connection that I can access via hooking up to some tower
Old 2007-12-20, 08:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalearm View Post
Cybersurf is an alternative for you, as they provide cable internet and digital home phone; since you can't get any telephone lines in. (Doesn't Primus use the telepohne line?).

http://www.cybersurf.ca/
5mbps for $24.95 or $34.95 for 7mbps
Or
Take their home phone $39.95 and get free high speed internet:
https://www.cia.com/comparePrices.do
I 2nd this!!! I was referred by many existing users and are happy with it. I like the idea where all calls throughout canada is local - tons of calls to Calgary and Montreal. High speed internet is great as well. No complaints here and for $39.95, can't go wrong.

Lovin' the community.