Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-04-01, 04:02 PM

Default Opinions on floorplan

Hi,

We're interested in this floorplan. However, the walk in closet is kinda small and I would like 2 sinks in the ensuite. Does it make sense to close off the open to above area from the family to make the master bedroom bigger with bigger closet and ensuite? How much would it cost approx. to do that?

What do you guys think of this floorplan?
Thanks,

maica
Old 2008-04-01, 04:03 PM

Sorry, here is the floor plan

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...a_td/house.jpg
Old 2008-04-01, 04:37 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by maica View Post
Hi,

We're interested in this floorplan. However, the walk in closet is kinda small and I would like 2 sinks in the ensuite. Does it make sense to close off the open to above area from the family to make the master bedroom bigger with bigger closet and ensuite? How much would it cost approx. to do that?

What do you guys think of this floorplan?
Thanks,

maica
Hi Maica:

Remember me Perhaps I can suggest a few things & you can still keep your OTA family room...

Do you have kids & if so how many? I am asking because if you can make bed. #3 a bit more narrow by 1 ft. or so & suddenly your bathroom is longer. You could move the toilet beside the tub & shower on that empty wall & then you can add the extra sink where the toilet originally was & also shorten that bathtub surround, since no need for it. Or you leave the toilet where it is now & add the sink on the other side of the tub. Problem solved

As to the closet size, you could delete the second door to the master bedroom making it into a single door & this will enlarge your closet size by at least 2 ft. by extending that closet wall. You could also extend that entire wall with ensuite & enlarge both at the same time if you don't want to make the bedroom #3 smaller. You could also have the closet door swing outside & have it centred more & you can add an extra shelf. Ask your builder if he could make the door more narrow, lets say 26" vs. 30". Or even add a pocket door that goes inside the wall but this might be a bit more expensive to do.

I would leave the open to above family room because it will look great, trust me

BTW, could you turn your floor plan a bit, it's hard to look at it

Hope this helps...
Old 2008-04-01, 05:40 PM

Thanks patrob for all good sugggestions, we only have 1 kid now, maybe two in the future.

However, the problem is that we love to have double door entry .... Also, we would like to have two sinks to be together. Maybe I'll take your advice and leave the open space. We can buy some furniture to hold our stuffs if needed.

Thanks again patrob.
Old 2008-04-01, 06:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maica View Post
Thanks patrob for all good sugggestions, we only have 1 kid now, maybe two in the future.

However, the problem is that we love to have double door entry .... Also, we would like to have two sinks to be together. Maybe I'll take your advice and leave the open space. We can buy some furniture to hold our stuffs if needed.

Thanks again patrob.
No problem

Since you only have 1 child now, you can easily use the closet in bedroom #3 or maybe invest in an armoire. I personally would not close off the family room just to increase your closet size by 2 or 3 feet. That way you can keep your double doors to the master but do what I suggested with moving that wall in bed. #3 to increase your bathroom. And regarding the two sinks, it does not have to be side by side. Ours are separate & I like to keep it that way I have mine & my husband has his

Once the house is built, you will see how beautiful the OTA feature will look with the extra windows & it will make the house feel so much larger.
Old 2008-04-03, 09:00 PM
Regular User

When I look at floor plans, I always consider how easy it would be do to routine tasks like bringing the groceries, laundry, hiding shoes and other mess. One thing that I notice is that your kitchen is kind of far from the garage and the front door and there is carpet during part of that path. We specifically chose a plan for our new house where the kitchen is off of the garage because we are so annoyed with our current layout (mind you, the groceries have to go upstairs. Not cool!)

Just some food for thought...
Old 2008-04-04, 12:01 AM
Regular User

Thumbs up

I also see you have the laundry on the 2nd floor, perhaps if you don't mind moving it to the basement, it would solve your small closet problem. Plus I see there is no tub, I can't imagine not having a large tub (sink) in the laundry.

I am surprised there is a bathtub in the powder room or is this not a powder room anymore, but a full bathroom Unless you will have someone using the den as their bedroom, there is really no need to have the tub there & the extra door IMO. And as I said earlier, you can easily increase the master ensuite size by making bedroom #3 smaller. Also in the main hallway bathroom, I would add an extra sink. Once you have kids, it will be priceless trust me.

Good luck in your decision

Last edited by patrob; 2008-04-04 at 12:04 AM.
Old 2008-04-04, 09:02 AM
Regular User

Default All great suggestions

Everyone has made some great suggestions. However making any of these changes can add $$'s to the price, especially when it comes to moving plumbing. Also seems like you are taking a plan and molding it to your life style. I think it should be the other way around, the floor plan should fit your lifestyle. Time to look for another floor plan I think.
Old 2008-04-04, 09:27 AM
Regular User

To move the 2nd floor laun, dry to the basement, it cost $650 from my builder, so that is not too bad. However, to add extra sink (meaning adding extra cabinet also), that would cost more for sure (not just the labor and the material, but to redraw the floor plan, re-submit to the city for approval... all the admin cost on top of it)

My 2 cents.

Old 2008-04-04, 09:30 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejack View Post
Everyone has made some great suggestions. However making any of these changes can add $$'s to the price, especially when it comes to moving plumbing. Also seems like you are taking a plan and molding it to your life style. I think it should be the other way around, the floor plan should fit your lifestyle. Time to look for another floor plan I think.
Indeed. For a 2500 sq ft house, it seems like it's not efficient at all.

Take a look at this:
http://www.tamarackhomes.com/floorpl...on-bristol.php
(I chose this one because it's mine)

It's got the double entry (which is not hidden by a garage!), double sink can be added in master bathroom, 2 sinks in ensuite, laundry tub in laundry room, kitchen not that close to the garage / entry but still in a straight path, large walk-in closet, ...

all that for a 2350 sq ft house. Sure, there is no loft, no open space to above (beside near the stairs), but it's a floor plan that I consider efficient.