Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-04-19, 01:15 AM
Regular User

Default Double garage door OR 2 Single garage doors?

Can anyone give me their thoughts on which to choose.

I like the look of 2 single doors but think that the double door would be more practical for getting a large vehicle in and out easily.
Old 2008-04-19, 05:13 AM
Regular User

Personally I like the one big door. Less trouble to get in and out and if you want to park in the middle you can. Makes it easier if you have a trailer you want to put in the garage too.

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Old 2008-04-19, 11:07 AM
Regular User

One plus for 2 separate ones is you get to open only one at a time.. (making you green.. )

But in one bigger garage you can easily bring trucks.. But depends how many times in life do you actually want to bring big trucks all the way in...
Old 2008-04-19, 11:16 AM
Regular User

Opening one at a time doesn't make you any greener than opening one big one. In fact, wouldn't having the big door, allowing you to remove two cars while only opening one door, make you greener? Then there's the whole issue of the two cars, and the incredible amount of energy consumed in the construction and the ridiculous amount of waste--and then the realization hits you that there is nothing green about living in the 'burbs.

I definitely prefer the look of two doors, but the single door is certainly more convenient for entry/exit, and gives better access to your whole garage. Plus, you save on the cost of a second power opener...
Old 2008-04-19, 11:17 AM
Regular User

If you go with two doors, you'll need two garage openers. I'd go with the single.
Old 2008-04-20, 12:30 AM
Regular User

One double door over 2 single ones for me if I have a choice and luckily it has always been in my favour . If you ever have to work on your car at all (even for just simple winter/summer tire/wheel change) it will be much much easier with a large door. Also you can park a car in the middle if you want with all the space around the doors .
Old 2008-04-20, 12:41 AM
Regular User

I've had both ways. My previous house had a 22' (wide) garage but with a large centered single door and I needed to do some fancy backing to get both vehicles positioned within the garage properly to each side. My current (new) house has two single doors for a 20' garage and it's great - the cars just go straight in. As for openers, yes you have to buy two of them but you can set them up to operate independently from a single remote, depending on the brand.

I suppose it comes down to preference.

Also, alot of builders offer 17' - 18' garages and call them doubles, and on those I concede that only a single door would make sense.
Old 2008-04-20, 11:01 AM
Regular User

With our builder the two door garrage was 3 feet (approx - I'd have to check the spec) bigger than the double door garrage. So to me that's where the benifit was. The two door option does look better....
Old 2008-04-20, 01:31 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up

Go for 2 single doors IMO it looks nicer & makes the house "appear" larger somehow....

But it's a personal preference so neither is wrong. My husband has always parked his large work van (GMC Savana Cargo) in the garage & fits just fine & no problems when he works on it, just drives in at an angle & it's fine. Yes you will need 2 garage openers.
Old 2008-04-20, 10:45 PM
Regular User

My preference is one large door.
We were looking at a nice Minto attached bungalow in Morgans Grant last fall and really liked it other than the fact it was attached. It had a single garage and looked small.
My Trailblazer suv isn't that big but I measured...and I only had 2 inches to clear each mirror! No parking in that garage.
I was leery of getting a double garage with 2 doors because with the size of that door I can just see me with 2 doors and still not getting my truck in there!
Single door is the only way to go!!!

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!