Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2009-04-08, 02:14 PM
Regular User

Default Problems with garage door opener remotes

Hi all,

I have a 1/2HP chain drive Craftsman garage door opener, about 2.5 years old. It has two remotes and a keyless entry pad. Both remotes are very finicky in terms of the distance you must be from the unit before the door will open. Occasionally, it will work from the end of the driveway (maybe 20 feet), but most often I need to pull up as close as possible to the door and hold the remote close to the car windshield for it to open. Occasionally (like today), I had to get out of the car and stand outside the door for it to work. VERY ANNOYING and kinda defeats the purpose of have a REMOTE control. I don't think the problem is related to batteries since I've replaced them and continue to have the same issue with both remotes.

The keyless entry pad is equally iffy. I frequently need to punch the code several times for it to work. The keypad flashes, so SOME kind of message is being sent to the unit (granted, the buttons are a bit awkward, so there may be user errors at times, but certainly not all times).

Anybody have any experience with this? Could it be related to the antenna for the opener? I think there is a reception problem happening. Input is appreciated.
Old 2009-04-08, 02:33 PM
Regular User

if your keypad is flashing, try hitting enter a second time - not sure why, but this works for me.

have you tried straightening the antenna wire on the opener?
Old 2009-04-08, 02:56 PM
Regular User

I was finding I had to enter the keyless code twice to open ours. I now hit enter first to 'wake up' the keypad then enter my code and enter again. Seems to work reliably.
Old 2009-04-08, 03:56 PM
Regular User

Where abouts are you now Jenny1975?

I found an old article that may explain your problem,

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in659343.shtml
Old 2009-04-08, 04:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner View Post
have you tried straightening the antenna wire on the opener?
Yes, although it was already pretty straight. Maybe stripping a bit of the insulation off would help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
Where abouts are you now Jenny1975? I found an old article that may explain your problem,

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in659343.shtml
I am in Ottawa (Orleans). I'm doubtful this is the issue since these openers are very popular and the problem would likely be well known/widespread. Maybe I just bought a lemon?
Old 2009-04-08, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny1975 View Post
Yes, although it was already pretty straight. Maybe stripping a bit of the insulation off would help?
No, don't do that.

First, thank-you for not cutting off the antenae. This is usually the main reason why problems you describe happen. People cut off the antenae and then call me wondering why their remotes don't work too well anymore.

Second, batteries are the issue. As they die out you will need to be closer and closer to the opener for them to work.

Third, you may have something else in the area interfering with the frequency the remote is operating at. Do you have an alarm system that uses wireless sensors?
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-04-08, 07:04 PM
Regular User

I seem to recall the issue has been occuring ever since I bought the thing, in spite changing batteries, but it's hard to remember for sure as I only park in the garage during the winter.

No wireless alarm, however there are two motion sensing light fixtures on the exterior of the house, one of which is directly above the garage door. Could that be the culprit? The lights also have photocells.
Old 2009-04-08, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Photocells shouldn't cause any issues.

Metal door with no windows?

Someone called me with this exact same issue a few months ago (I didn't install it). When I got there it was a "brother-in-law special", which means it was installed very very wrong.

I cleaned up the wiring, affixed the unit safely to the ceiling and after that it appeared to function fine again.

Old 2009-04-08, 09:41 PM
Regular User

Yes, metal door, no windows. This was a "single chick's nice and handy male friend special", but I helped out and he knew what he was doing, so I feel good about the installation. The hardwired control works fine and there are no problems with anything else.
Old 2009-04-09, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Try opening the door from the inside.

Once open, walk outside and to the next house.

Press the button on the remote.

If the door closes then it is entirely possible that it has something to do with the all metal door.