Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Richmond Hill

Richmond Hill Century Grove, Democrat Homes, Acorn Homes, Fieldgate, Heathwood Homes, Vogue Development, Brookfield, Sky Homes, Genesis Homes, Fairgate, Fernbrook, Fieldgate, Tribute, Lebovic, Maple Lane, Great West, Mirrow Homes, Queensgate, Primont, Saberwood, Edenbrook, Luvian, Kaitlin, Pemberton, Empire Homes, H&R, Wyecliffe, The Woodlands and more!

Old 2009-06-19, 10:24 AM
Regular User

Default Arista won't allow Inspector during PDI ...

I just learned that Arista Homes won't allow my Inspector to come along during PDI. Is it common practice among the builders in GTA. I am quite upset because I think I have the right to know every thing is done properly and to being my own Home Inspector to verify that.

I am assuming I can still get the Home Inspector to Inspect the Home during 30 day inspection. I am not very handy person and am not well versed on building code so am afraid that I will have lot of thing overlooked during PDI.

I just bought the home so closing is very far away.

Old 2009-06-19, 10:35 AM
Regular User

I would tell them where to go, bring who ever you want. what are they going to do if you show up with the guy, bounce you both out?
during these tough economic times, do they they want to make the sale or not? if you have already bought it and signed papers, ask them where in the contract does it say you are not allowed to bring someone with you?

They probably would prefer if you did not bring the guy with you, but probably wouldnt cause too much trouble if you brought him with you. before you go just tell them that you are bringing him and thats the end of the story.
Please let me know how this turns out, i am very interested.
Old 2009-06-19, 10:44 AM
Administrator

You can bring whomever you want, within reason. You and a spouse, but not your kids. You, your spouse and an inspector. You can even send an inspector instead of yourself providing you give written notice.

http://www.tarion.com/HOME/New+Home+...ry+Inspection/

The builders representative is there to go through the house at their own pace, not at your inspectors pace. Also the builders rep will not sign a list that the inspector has generated, just the Tarion form.

If you have any questions regarding this, contact Tarion directly.
http://www.tarion.com/HOME/Contact+Us/
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-06-19, 10:45 AM
Regular User

Actually It says in the contract in Schedule X. And They make me sign it with out Lawyer review. There were around 60 people waiting behind me to get into a deal in these difficult times. I didn't had a choice . If I walked away some one else will just step in and bougth the lot that I wanted with no conditions.

Here is the wording they used in Schedule X

"no inspectors permitted, only those listed on the agreement of purchase and sale”

So You think I can still bring my inspector. I am so Upset and disgusted with what builders get away with

Thank you for your reply Greg. Its been real helpful.

Last edited by addtemp; 2009-06-19 at 10:47 AM.
Old 2009-06-19, 10:48 AM
Administrator

I don't think you can sign away your rights. Contact Tarion for information. Otherwise the answer will be no.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-06-19, 11:26 AM
Regular User

So weird that was int he contract, seems shadey to me.

Most builders allow whoever you want within reason, no kids and pets and 20 family members obviously.

I know most builders try and deter you saying their houses don't need further inspection. But as a consumer you have rights to protect your investment. Ask Tarion or even ask your lawyer and see how the contract is binding.
Old 2009-06-19, 08:36 PM
Regular User

This made me check my agreement with Tribute.. whew, mine says that a "designate" can be part of PDI. My lawyer commented that their agreement is one of the better ones he's seen.
Old 2009-06-19, 10:32 PM
Regular User

I don't see any reason to start stressing out or get upset about something like this. Nobody's stopping you from hiring an inspector the day after you move in, and putting all your issues on your 30-day form. After you take possession of the house, it's YOUR house and you can bring over anybody you want to take a look at it.

Personally, I'd prefer it, since inspectors can take several hours combing through the property, and you're not going to feel rushed. And as long as everything is ok or is put on that 30-day list, it should be taken care of.

again, I don't see anything shady or worth stressing over. Whether you hire the guy before you move in, or before your 1st year is over, it's all the same thing. If he finds any major issues, you're under warranty no matter what.
Old 2009-06-19, 10:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by addtemp View Post
Actually It says in the contract in Schedule X. And They make me sign it with out Lawyer review. There were around 60 people waiting behind me to get into a deal in these difficult times. I didn't had a choice . If I walked away some one else will just step in and bougth the lot that I wanted with no conditions.

Here is the wording they used in Schedule X

"no inspectors permitted, only those listed on the agreement of purchase and sale”

So You think I can still bring my inspector. I am so Upset and disgusted with what builders get away with

Thank you for your reply Greg. Its been real helpful.
Why was there so many people ? was this the Jeff.forest opening? there's nothing unique about this release...makes no sense
Old 2009-06-20, 01:23 AM
Regular User

I guess because Madison, fieldgate, Forest Hill Homes and Arista Homes are new to Jefferson Forest and it was Preview opening with 30 lots only to each builder divided in to 50's and 40's.

We were not even given Pricelists till the very moment we had to select the lot. As I mentioned earlier even floor plans on the website were missing or incomplete. as they still are

Incognito you are quite right but I don't see why the builder should have issue with that. If they did there work good they should be able to stand by it and have no issue with any inspector visiting the site. I have no issue with them having a fixed alloted time for PDI. Also this is only 1 of the the issues. My agreement has around 10 or 12 points that needed correction but they plainly refused.

An Example be that the Floorplan should be with in 5% of floorplan i.e 3100 sq/ft. They refused to comply by that as well.

Last edited by addtemp; 2009-06-20 at 01:26 AM.