Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane

Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane For residents and soon-to-be residents of Stouffvilles Main Street and River Ridge, Great Gulf Homes, Fieldgate, Greenpark and more!

PHAND Telecommunications Installations

Old 2009-08-25, 10:47 PM
Regular User

Default Greenpark - Mainstreet Stouffville

Hello,

My family recently bought a home on Vera Lynn Crescent from Greenpark's Mainstreet Stouffville project. Our closing date is sometime in June 2010. Has anybody here gone to a Decor Centre appointment? If so, can you share with us some of the costs of the upgrades? Also, we would appreciate any tips and advice you can give us in dealing with Greenpark's decor centre. e.g. what we can / should negotiate.

Thanks,
RDG
Old 2009-08-26, 09:30 AM
Regular User

Hey RDG,

Nice to meet you! Welcome to the site. I too bought from Greenpark on Vera Lynn Cres. Lot #71, closing May 14, 2010.

All I can say is that I have been at the Decor Centre several times to browse, get an idea of what I liked. I know that they haven't begun calling folks in our neighbourhood for their apts yet. Likely not until Sept. or Oct. I have learned in the process that if you want an electrical walk-through apt. which is separate from the 2 apts to choose your colours, it is best to contact them as early as possible to request that because they will not call you to schedule that. What else...I was unable to get much in terms of pricing just yet because they hadn't received the measurements for our houses yet, therefore they could not tell me the exact cost. I think they have by now though. I am going Friday so I will find out. However, I bought the Redstone 2 and was told that the cost of upgrading my stairs to oak was $1500 and the cost to stain it was $1300. I also asked for the cost of a frameless shower enclosure and was quoted $2800. I asked if prices were negotiable and was told that everything is negotiable - provided you buy for more than 2 grand type of thing. I get the impression that they are providing better deals these days for hardwood floors for example. Also indoor potlights are $220 and outdoor are $260. The cost of upgrading door handles throughout the house is $1800

You have to do your research and decide what you want to upgrade through the builder and what you are willing to do on your own because it's expensive through the builder.

Hope this helps a little. Cheers! PJD
Old 2009-08-26, 10:14 AM
Regular User

Default Greenpark - Mainstreet Stouffville

Thanks PJD. We're going to be neighbours.

This information is indeed useful. I better call them for an electrical appointment as I have some specific requests in mind, for example 4" conduit from the basement to the attic to accommodate future cabling / wiring requirements.

On a related topic, do you know if building permits were already issued for the Greenpark houses? The reason I ask is I'm thinking of opting for the larger basement windows, an option that I did not know existed when we signed the documents. I read in this forum that "structural" changes like this cannot be accommodated after the building permit has been issued.

As for other upgrades, we exercised, rather were rushed into exercising some of our upgrade options at the time of signing as they gave us $8K worth in upgrades. We opted for the oak staircase, first and second floor landings, living room and family room. This, basically used up our $8K allowance. After we went through the $8K allowance, we were told that additional upgrades / modifications will be handled by the decor centre.

Please keep me posted on any useful information you might get on Friday.

Thanks again.
RDG
Old 2009-08-26, 10:44 AM
Regular User

Hey RDG! I know, we're going to be neighbours - how exciting!

I just called the Municipality now and found out that Greenpark just requested 80-100 building permits, including mine. That would be recent since I called about 2 weeks ago and she told me my building permit had not been requested. This is good news. She would not commit to a timeline as to how long it would take to issue the permit. She said that normally it's 15-20 days but for subdivisions they do not put a limit of time on it because they get such large numbers of requests all at once. I said "ball park" and she said about 1 month. So YAHOO!!! This may finally be coming and we can start driving up to see more than a pile of dirt! Woohoo! Don't mind my excitement! LOL!

Good luck on the basement windows. I called them way before this request was made and she told me that engineering said I was too late to make any changes. When I found out that they hadn't requested my building permit I called and said 'you said I was too late but the Municipality tells me that you have not even requested my building permit yet. I can't help but feel that you just don't want me to make any further changes." She then contacted engineering and called me back to say that there are several steps in-house where sketches are drawn and approved etc. before it goes to the Municipality and when those steps have started they do not want to have to start over. All that to say that you can call them, but you may be too late. And let me tell you that it is $200 per window for an extra 6" width. Not much of a difference!

I am shocked that they made you use your upgrade money as part of your offer. Wow! You must have made your offer after me. I made mine mid-May. I was given more upgrade money and had changes made + a few things thrown in for free. My upgrade money is intact - to be used at the Decor Centre. I do recall as I firmed up that the salesperson told me that I was lucky since I was one of the last ones to be allowed changes for free + things thrown in + I guess the upgrade money because they'd received word from head office to make no more changes or free upgrades etc now that the market was picking up. I thought she was bluffing and wanted to make me feel like I'd gotten a lot - which I didn't buy. I find that with sales staff some stuff goes in one ear and out the other with me. I guess it was true in this case.

It's all a question of timing isn't it. I will keep you posted about Friday if there is anything to tell.

Last edited by PJD; 2009-08-26 at 12:08 PM.
Old 2009-08-26, 11:37 AM
Regular User

Thanks PJD.

Indeed, it's great news that Greenpark will begin construction. Finally.

Yup, my timing was a bit off. We signed around the middle of June, around the same time that the market was picking up.
Old 2009-08-30, 11:24 AM
Regular User

Welcome to the neighbourhood RDG. Thanks to the map you've provided on another thread, I see that we're neighbours on the same side of the street!

PJD, it's great news that greenpark has requested for building permits. I do hope they'll start construction soon. I'm tired of imagining what our house would be like... now I want to see it coming up, I want to see the real thing!
Old 2009-08-30, 02:20 PM
Regular User

Ditto ric! I was wondering where you were, when you were going to join this thread! LOL! It will be so much more exciting once we start to see it go up! I went to the Decor Centre on Friday but they were busy and I didn't find out anything new except that the girl I've dealt with told me she still hasn't received my measurements! More waiting!
Old 2009-08-30, 09:27 PM
Regular User

Yes, I was MIA for a while wasn't I...

Eventhough there's no house to look at, I just find some excuse to visit VLC. Went there today. The lots were muddy pools after the rain and with all the construction garbage strewn around - it was a pityful sight. Visited the sales office as well and as you said, they've sold most of the lots and guess what -perhaps you know it already, they've jacked up the prices of our houses. I guess we were lucky to buy when we did They did say construction will start in about three weeks time
Old 2009-08-31, 09:29 AM
Regular User

MIA, you bet you were MIA! LOL! Just teasing! Hanging out in the mud I see! LOL!

I used to drive up there a lot too but I decided to give it a break until they start construction. But I understand the temptation! It's exciting! I know when I dropped by the Sales office my house had gone up by $9000. I am glad to hear that it could be around 3 weeks! I figured it would likely be in September or so. I hope so! Let's all cross our fingers & toes!
Old 2009-08-31, 01:45 PM
Regular User

Smile

My boyfriend and I purchased our first home with Green Park last month and our closing date is June 2010. We are lot 55 on Christian Hoover!

We went to see the site yesterday but it doens't look too different than when we made our offer a month ago. For those that have been to the decor center and/or received quotes for their proposed upgrades, any clue how much it would cost to upgrade the whole house to hardwood? We bought the Redstone 7 - elevation 1, and I think the house comes with carpet.

Thanks! And it's very nice to meet our future neighbours before we even move in.