Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Four Seasons

Old 2009-12-24, 12:54 AM
Regular User

Default How much does it cost to build a home?

I am property searching in Toronto these days. I came across a few empty plots in the middle of metro area cost from 100,000 to 200,000
Old 2009-12-24, 01:23 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudz View Post
I am property searching in Toronto these days. I came across a few empty plots in the middle of metro area cost from 100,000 to 200,000
There is no way those lots are as straight-forward as they sound. They're either zoned oddly, or are non-developable.

Anyways, around Ottawa, it costs around $110-150 per sq. ft. to build a home on your own lot.

Old 2009-12-24, 10:30 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
There is no way those lots are as straight-forward as they sound. They're either zoned oddly, or are non-developable.

Anyways, around Ottawa, it costs around $110-150 per sq. ft. to build a home on your own lot.
Why do you say that Fingers? I am curious too. Because of the price? You think itís too cheap? I always wonder about the cost of a custom build.
Old 2009-12-24, 11:00 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJD View Post
Why do you say that Fingers? I am curious too. Because of the price? You think it’s too cheap? I always wonder about the cost of a custom build.
To be in the metro Toronto area? Yes, that is really cheap. Unserviced lots in the boonies start at $100K in Vars/Navan from what I've seen. No municipal water/sewer, maybe hydro to the property line. And you'll probably have to clear trees too.

Unless you mean GTA? You could find some close to Markham I'm sure... maybe close to the Metro Toronto Zoo... although neither of those is really "middle metro Toronto"

Old 2009-12-24, 12:38 PM
Regular User

I wish I could afford that, and not have to deal with builder BS! But it's so expensive in T.O.

My family is all in Quebec City and both my parents and my brother and wife have bought a house from a builder, chose a model, but it works like custom for them, they get credits for everything and then go choose their tile for example in the store of their choosing and if they choose something above and beyond the amount of the credit they received, let's say for tiles or faucets etc. they pay the difference to the store and no mark-up for the builder! They are so lucky that way! They have difficulty understanding why we are getting ripped off like this in Ontario.

Does anyone know why it works differently in Ontario? Maybe it's a silly question but it's frustrating.
Old 2009-12-24, 05:47 PM
Regular User

The one for 100,000 was in Mississauga which I seen on mls few weeks ago, and the one for 200,000 is in Toronto I seen few days ago.
Why would something not serviceable when the rest of area have homes?
Old 2009-12-24, 07:28 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudz View Post
Why would something not serviceable when the rest of area have homes?
If that were the case though, they would have to disclose it, wouldn't they?
Old 2009-12-25, 03:05 PM
Regular User

I am also thinking, whether neighbors might mind if contractors would start digging the land for foundation?
Old 2009-12-25, 03:25 PM
Regular User

Before settling for a place in Kizell Pond in Kanata/Ottawa, we did look at custom built homes with two custom builders and one general contractor/project manager. The initial estimates was about $160/sq ft plus the cost of the land. This would include well and sewer systems plus some allowance for tree clearing.

Last summer, we saw a couple of lots with gas lines. Price was from about $160K - $200k for around 2 acres.

Among other things, another important consideration for us at that time was that the timeline to build was getting too close to the HST date of July 1, 2010. In terms of price, it would have been about the same with the custom and the tract builders.

Oh well, maybe when we retire and don't have to drive to downtown everyday. We can then co-exist with the deer, bears, racoons, bugs, etc.
Old 2009-12-26, 12:46 PM
Regular User

I have another question.
I have seen some cheap houses with ridiculus interior. Like they made 6-7 rooms in very small space. How much would it cost to redo the whole interior?