Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Four Seasons

Old 2010-01-07, 12:37 PM
Regular User

Default Ontario Building Code (Garage Door Placement)

Turns out that as a result of the grading...our builder can't put the door from the garage to the house where it was supposed to be on the plan. I'm waiting to hear back from them on a different location for the door (that I suggested) but in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find the Ontario Builing Code info on where a garage-to-house entrance door can be placed (with regards to the grade).
I'm thinking that if they wont put it where I requested...I'll take the credit and put the door in after.

Cheers,

QJ
Old 2010-01-07, 12:53 PM
Regular User

it has to do more with fire code then anything I believe, something about the number of steps down straight out. if it exceeds 2 or 3 then it can't be straight out and needs to have a platform then the stairs which is against the fire code or something like that. I was told this by one of our builders when doing the frame walk. if you search "Egress" in the OBC which is online here you might find it.

http://www.obc.mah.gov.on.ca/site4.aspx

Last edited by SoNgMaN; 2010-01-07 at 12:56 PM.
Old 2010-01-07, 01:11 PM
Regular User

This happened in our first home, we put it in ourself afterward.. no way around it. Plan says "If Grade Permits"

Old 2010-01-07, 01:35 PM
Regular User

It happened to my cousin, the only thing you can tell builder (if the builder is nice) to make frame, everything is ready, just put back a drywall on when closing . After closing, you do yourself to take drywall out and put back the door in
Old 2010-01-07, 05:44 PM
Regular User

This happened to us as well.....except that the builder ended up keeping the door there for us. I'd ask about it every week or so and the super kept telling me not to worry, that he would work something out. The reason the door is not allowed is bc its too high off the ground and would require more steps. After a certain number of steps you require a landing and a turn. If they put this in, the stairs would jut out into the garage too much and no car would be able to be parked there. That's the reasoning I understood.

Anyhow, our door was included in the cost of the house. What the super did for it to pass inspection is nail a board across the door in the garage. They put no stairs there for the inspection. This way there was no hazard since with the board nailed in, no one could exit the house that way from the inside through the garage.

Of course after we moved in we had to remove the board and then the super had the steps put it. The drop from the laundry room floor to the first step is larger than it (legally) should be. Apart from being illegal, it doesn't seem to me much of a hazard for us since we are both tall and have long legs, so the small extra distance down to the first step isn't a far way down for us.

The super said that if the inspector would have denied the door altogether, they would have framed it, put up the drywall and then come back later after we took possession to remove the drywall and put the door in. Glad we got to keep the door in the end bc if we have had to do it ourselves it would have been a big hassle and $$$.
Old 2010-01-08, 08:31 AM
Regular User

Thanks for all of the info! I should hear back from them today...and I guess I'll decide from there.

Again...many thanks.

Q
Old 2010-01-12, 01:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amz155 View Post
This happened to us as well.....except that the builder ended up keeping the door there for us. I'd ask about it every week or so and the super kept telling me not to worry, that he would work something out. The reason the door is not allowed is bc its too high off the ground and would require more steps. After a certain number of steps you require a landing and a turn. If they put this in, the stairs would jut out into the garage too much and no car would be able to be parked there. That's the reasoning I understood.

Anyhow, our door was included in the cost of the house. What the super did for it to pass inspection is nail a board across the door in the garage. They put no stairs there for the inspection. This way there was no hazard since with the board nailed in, no one could exit the house that way from the inside through the garage.

Of course after we moved in we had to remove the board and then the super had the steps put it. The drop from the laundry room floor to the first step is larger than it (legally) should be. Apart from being illegal, it doesn't seem to me much of a hazard for us since we are both tall and have long legs, so the small extra distance down to the first step isn't a far way down for us.

The super said that if the inspector would have denied the door altogether, they would have framed it, put up the drywall and then come back later after we took possession to remove the drywall and put the door in. Glad we got to keep the door in the end bc if we have had to do it ourselves it would have been a big hassle and $$$.
Our current builder told us they'd do the same thing if the grade did not permit.. get the home passed, then come back and install the door for us. We were lucky enough not to have to worry.

Old 2010-01-12, 03:07 PM
Regular User

I don't think you can get a credit per say form your builder for it. Because they never really claim you will get one from the beginning, they give you the "IF" grading permits..No guarantee there.
Old 2010-01-12, 04:01 PM
Regular User

As an alternative, you might want to consider lowering your laundry by one step to comply with the code - only if you're off by 1 step though.
Old 2010-01-13, 03:51 PM
Regular User

The builder is going to frame the door (and then cover it up) and give us a credit. That's fine with me...got a trailer load of other things to worry about leading up to closing. Thanks again for all of your help and advice.

Q