Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Four Seasons

Old 2010-03-17, 04:22 PM
Regular User

Angry Maple or Oak cabinets

Oak cabinets in the kitchen comes standard with our new home and upgrade 1to maple (shaker style cabinets) and the stain will come in around $3k. In the grand scheme of things, should I be paying that for Maple cabinets and what is the biggie about Maple anyways. I am asking this because my friends and colleagues have been hounding me about making sure to get Maple. (Could you all tell I'm getting a little pissed)

Gosh, I love this forum. I can even come here and vent!
Old 2010-03-17, 04:49 PM
Regular User

It's a matter of personal prefrence.

Maple is a lighter coloured wood; Oak is a little darker and more "grainy". The grainy look of Oak turns some people off, as it seems to give off a "country kitchen" look.
Some people don't want that look in an urban/suburban kitchen.

With the right colour stain, Oak can look pretty good.

I like both, but my wife chose Maple.
Old 2010-03-17, 05:04 PM
Regular User

oak was very popular 10 to 15 years ago, and can look quite dated compared to a maple kitchen. check out some resale home pics on mls and you should be able to see the difference.

if the stain is dark enough it might not matter much, but light coloured oak is really not popular anymore, and might hurt resale value.
Old 2010-03-17, 07:31 PM
Regular User

You may also want to look into birch. It looks similar to maple and usually falls between oak and maple in price.
Old 2010-03-17, 07:34 PM
Regular User

What are you getting pissed about? Because others are trying to tell you what to do? Just do what you want.

The main difference as the responses above indicate, is that oak is more grainy. This changes the look some and you'll have to decide if you prefer that by seeing it in person. Maple is much less grainy (more uniform looking wood) and softer as well. Maple dents and scratches easier. The grain in the oak is a bit more forgiving to wear and tear.

We chose an espresso coloured maple for our kitchen and I don't know if I really love it. Thing is, I don't know what else I would ahve chosen witht he options we had (we didn't want to upgrade further). The dark Maple shows dings, scratches, dents, fingerprints, sticky stuff, grease very easily.
Old 2010-03-17, 11:11 PM
Regular User

Before we picked out our cupboards we went to the manufacturers show room to have a look at full size kitchens and to get an idea of what they offered. One of the first things they said was that they did not stain maple as it would not take a stain consistently. The sales person did say that if we wanted the look of Maple and wanted to stain it, to go with birch. They look very similar and the birch apparently takes the stain better. this was one company's opinion so I can't comment on what the market opinion is. For us we went with birch with an expreso stain and couldn't be happier. Maple, birch... for me as long as it was real wood and not honey colored oak I was happy. My wife picked the color and it happened to only come in birch. I would recommend going to the show room to have a look around before making a decision. In the end you have to live with it, not someone else. If you end up building a house thinking about resale, you are building it for someone else and you won't feel at home. Go with what makes you happy and when it comes time to sell it, you only need to find one person that feels the same way you do to make the sale.
Old 2010-03-18, 06:57 AM
Regular User

At the design center for the Fernbrook homes, they won't even discuss pricing until you have your 'official' design appointment.

A couple, who have a closing date slightly sooner than I do, mentioned that the standard for the kitchen cupboards is a level 2 and the ones shown in the StoneCastle model home (Alton Villange) are level 8. Seems the cost difference PER LEVEL is around $1,500 - so upgrading to off-white painted cupboards would cost me around $8,000 !!!!

Does anyone have any advice as to what is wisest - fork it over now, get something 'cheap' (LOL) now and upgrade later, or get an outside contractor/source for the cupboards?
As for the type of wood - this particular kitchen will have an entire wall of cabinets, so I think light is the only way to go... as in off white or white, not the 'wood' look...

I am also interested in any pricing you might have on upgrading from carpet to laminate for the 2nd floor...

Irene

Last edited by Irene; 2010-03-19 at 06:33 AM.
Old 2010-03-18, 09:54 AM
Regular User

Thanks to everyone responding. Like I've always said, this forum is purely amazing.
Yeah, looking at resale, I know Maple is the way to go, however, I have to ask at my next decor appointment about Birch. What I noticed is that there were really no visible grains on the standard cabinets at the decor center, maybe because I am only looking at 1 door but they look really good, finishing the whole kitchen may be a different story though.
Also, I've heard about Maple not withstanding punishment, we had the option of free upgrade to Maple floors but chose to go with the cash. I just wonder how the cabinets will hold up. I have 3 kids.
Old 2010-03-18, 09:56 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwood09 View Post
Before we picked out our cupboards we went to the manufacturers show room to have a look at full size kitchens and to get an idea of what they offered. One of the first things they said was that they did not stain maple as it would not take a stain consistently. The sales person did say that if we wanted the look of Maple and wanted to stain it, to go with birch. They look very similar and the birch apparently takes the stain better. this was one company's opinion so I can't comment on what the market opinion is. For us we went with birch with an expreso stain and couldn't be happier. Maple, birch... for me as long as it was real wood and not honey colored oak I was happy. My wife picked the color and it happened to only come in birch. I would recommend going to the show room to have a look around before making a decision. In the end you have to live with it, not someone else. If you end up building a house thinking about resale, you are building it for someone else and you won't feel at home. Go with what makes you happy and when it comes time to sell it, you only need to find one person that feels the same way you do to make the sale.
Very very well said.
Old 2010-03-18, 11:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj3tots View Post
Very very well said.
My thoughts exactly.
I have birch currently and am happy with how they stand up (my husband is worse than my kid on them )
I hate oak - but its all personal preference.