Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Four Seasons

Old 2010-04-12, 03:17 PM
Regular User

Default Squeaky shower :(

So we paid somewhere on the order of $3K to upgrade our ensuite shower, removing the standard acrylic stall and tiling it and adding glass. Originally it was supposed to be a corian base, but last minute they claimed that their corian supplier went under and we'd have to switch to an acrylic base. We protested but go nowhere. The builder sent us to their plumbing supplier to choose one... we met with her and said we really wanted a high-quality base that wouldn't squeak, didn't look cheap, etc. She showed us the one they planned to give us and it looked pretty nice:

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...ubcategory=128

She said it was solid, had a nice hidden drain in the back with a teak insert, etc.

Well, the shower squeaks and cracks like no one's business and it's driving us absolutely nuts. When we had our 30-day inspection, the builder kind of talked around the issue and said we could talk about it at the one-year review because it might have settled by then. It's louder now, and often even creaks as you first step on to the ceramic in the ensuite. This tells me that SOMETHING was done incorrectly... perhaps the partitions for the shower were nailed into the sub-floor in areas where there was no floor joist, or maybe the base itself is cheap and makes noise, or tile is rubbing on an edge somewhere, etc. The point is, it's horribly loud unlike either of our tubs or any of the acrylic stalls in the model homes, which are dead silent.

I have half a mind to just have someone come in and rip it out, then install a corian base. The problem is I'm assuming they'd have to remove a LOT of the tile... I have 24 of these spare tiles, and the bottom row is somewhere around 18 tiles. They'd probably need to remove more than one row though huh. I guess you'd need to cut out the drywall at the base to even un-attach it from the studs, etc. Maybe I should buy some more tile now before it's discontinued? What do you guys think???

Here is a photo of the shower in question:
Old 2010-04-12, 04:04 PM
Regular User

Page 7 of the installation guide seems to suggest that the concrete board comes down to the nailing flange, but does not overlap. From what I can figure, the tile overlaps the flange to cover the nail???

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal.../1087934_2.pdf

Wouldn't this create a great potential for squeaks?
Old 2010-04-12, 07:05 PM
Regular User

I don't have any suggestions but there's a lot of info by searching on 'squeaky shower base'. Instead of looking at removing the base one source suggested opening the walls next to the shower or if you can access the floor from below that would be an option too.

BTW, your shower looks beautiful. I like your corner rack too.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2010-04-12, 07:30 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waikiki View Post
I don't have any suggestions but there's a lot of info by searching on 'squeaky shower base'. Instead of looking at removing the base one source suggested opening the walls next to the shower or if you can access the floor from below that would be an option too.

BTW, your shower looks beautiful. I like your corner rack too.
Thank you That's the torture of it though. We love the look of it so much and yet then it screams like a banshee. I've actually read a lot of those links, suggesting things like spray foam, but then many other posts suggest that's only a temporary fix :\

maybe some kind of ready-mix but that would be really tough. I guess we'll put it on our one-year and go from there. Maybe Tamarack will surprise me and come up with some great fix.
Old 2010-04-12, 07:43 PM
Regular User

we had a squeaking tub in the main bath. Mattamy cut open a hole in our bedroom wall and bathroom wall to shim the crap out of it and use spray foam.. really hack fix but it worked. They also had to replace the drain hole of the tub.

This could have been avoided if they had properly installed the tub...
Old 2010-04-12, 09:42 PM
Regular User

One suggestion would be to have the acrylic pan removed, have the area tiled in a complementary but different tile, and carry those tiles 2 tiles from the floor up the wall. If you're going to go throught the trouble, and if a reno guy can do it, maybe do a row of the same tile 3/4 up the wall as well for an accent. A lot of work, but you could probably do something pretty cool.
Old 2010-04-13, 12:34 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
we had a squeaking tub in the main bath. Mattamy cut open a hole in our bedroom wall and bathroom wall to shim the crap out of it and use spray foam.. really hack fix but it worked. They also had to replace the drain hole of the tub.

This could have been avoided if they had properly installed the tub...
+1 for this...

I had to get the builder to come in and cut a hole in my walk-in closet wall in order to re-brace the base of my tub.
Old 2010-04-13, 08:32 AM
Regular User

I recently closed on my new home about 5 months ago and have been dealing with the exact same thing with my tub in the main bathroom and the acrylic base in my tiled shower.

The builder did come up with a neat fix for the base though, they pulled out the caulking and screwed the lip(top of the shower base) right into the studs of the wall just below the bottom row of tiles where it was squeeking which fixed the problem so far.

Last edited by Dellwoodking; 2010-12-14 at 08:56 AM.
Old 2010-04-13, 08:36 AM
Regular User

I noticed my base is making these noises too. I have not even moved in yet...I hope I don't encounter problems attempting to fix it.
Old 2010-04-13, 09:27 AM
Regular User

why the base in the first place? My base is all tile.