Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common and more!

Axis Heating and Air

Old 2010-07-10, 08:35 PM
Regular User

Default Bike Paths/Trails in and around Barrhaven.

Hello, now that the good weather is here, we would like to ride our bikes more often...just wondering if you guys know good bike paths/trails in the Barrhaven area, starting or passing through the Strandherd/Greenbank or Woodroffe Claridge intersections

I'd like to get my bike out more often if it's safer. Don't really wanna do that with cars buzzing down Strandherd and Greenbank...there was an alleged street-racing and a fatality just around my corner not too long ago.

Thanks.
Old 2010-07-10, 09:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Hello, now that the good weather is here, we would like to ride our bikes more often...just wondering if you guys know good bike paths/trails in the Barrhaven area, starting or passing through the Strandherd/Greenbank or Woodroffe Claridge intersections

I'd like to get my bike out more often if it's safer. Don't really wanna do that with cars buzzing down Strandherd and Greenbank...there was an alleged street-racing and a fatality just around my corner not too long ago.

Thanks.
The one where the 19yr old student died a day before grad? I feel more scared riding my bike here than I do in Toronto
Old 2010-07-11, 06:36 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by England View Post
The one where the 19yr old student died a day before grad? I feel more scared riding my bike here than I do in Toronto
That's the one, England. Very tragic, i hope the kids here learnt some good lessons out of that.

I used to take my bike out all the time when we lived in Centrepointe, going down Central Experimental Farm and the Ottawa Parkway on Sundays in the summer. I haven't done that since relocating to Barrhaven, it's a suburb so cars still rule supreme but give it some time and I think we will see some bike trails here.

They recently did a survey and more Canadians would ride their bikes to work if they feel safer.
Old 2010-07-28, 01:40 PM
Regular User

Default .

There is a bunch of paths in old Barrhaven parallel to the train tracks.

There is a very forested path after the Jock River Landing heading towards Manotick.

There is a nice new path between the church on Merivale and the Horse fields on Woodroffe.

Finally, there is the obvious one on Woodroffe and Hunt Club.

Basically... there are lot's!
Old 2010-07-28, 02:45 PM
Regular User

http://apps104.ottawa.ca/emap/?lang=...wa_cycling.mwf

Map of bike paths...
Old 2010-07-28, 02:52 PM
Regular User

Not trying to steal the thread here, but does anyone know of any good mountain biking trails around Barrhaven? I head out to Kanata Lakes almost every weekend because the trails there are pretty amazing, but it's fairly far to go...
Old 2010-07-28, 03:11 PM
Regular User

just picked up a Trek hardtail... been way to long since i rode a bike. Breaking in my body and ass on the thing this week! LOL
Old 2010-07-28, 03:26 PM
Regular User

I am not quite sure what qualifies as an MTB path but check out the path starting at the south side of the Jock river landing across from the cemetery. I went their last year and it seemed to go on forever towards Manotick. I also heard from a former coworker that there are good trails along the rail tracks. He lived in old Barrhaven so I would explore west of Woodroffe.

I road bike commute so I am not an expert.
Old 2010-08-10, 09:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post

They recently did a survey and more Canadians would ride their bikes to work if they feel safer.
Citizens for Safe Cycling offers a great "cycling in traffic" course: http://www.safecycling.ca/ They also have their programs in the city's Recreation Guide.

I took it when I got my bike and was biking to work at my old job, and it was very helpful.

And I'm excited about bike paths in Barrhaven. It's looking more and more like the place I'm going to move to. :-)