Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common and more!

Acker Home Inspections

Old 2011-04-08, 10:26 AM
Regular User

Default Range Hood vs Microwave/Hoodfan Combo?

I'm moving into my new Townhome in October and I was wondering what your thoughts are on a microwave/hoodfan combo in comparison to a regular range hood?

The townhome comes with a microwave/hoodfan combo built-in over the range but I was considering ripping this out and adding a more powerful rangehood instead. The hoodfan is vented to the back of the house through a bulkhead on the ceiling on the side 'party' wall (since I'm a middle unit and the stove is backing on the side wall). I'll more concerned with the food odours infiltrating the entire house as the townhome is open concept. I can always open up the windows but it won't be that feasible in the Winter.

For those who have a microwave/hoodfan combo, do you find them sufficient for filtering air and lessening odours?

I was also debating between a gas range and an electric range. I'm assuming that the gas range would generate more heat and would need a more effective filtration/cooling system. And maybe even generate more odours? Does anyone have any experiences with this?

Worse case scenario I can always capture those cooking odours, bottle them up, and use them as cologne... :S

Thanks!

Sohowest - Kanata
Valecraft Marseilles II
Closing: October 18th, 2011
Old 2011-04-08, 11:16 AM

We currently live in a middle unit and we deleted the micro-sling in favour of the range hood micro combo. We did not like eating up valuable cupboard space with a sling or having counter space occupied by a large appliance.

We home cook everyday and we have never had any leakage nor draw issues with our Maytag unit. LG sells a unit that has a pull out fan tray.
Old 2011-04-08, 12:20 PM
Regular User

I have a microwave combo right now and the only thing I find annoying is that the vent fan intake is rather small. I would say the intake is about 1/4 of the bottom of the combo and because of this not all the steam gets sucked away. Proof of this that I have a label that's kind of peeling underneath.

As for smells, I have an HRV so I usually just turn this on in conjunction and no problems.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-04-08, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I have a microwave combo right now and the only thing I find annoying is that the vent fan intake is rather small. I would say the intake is about 1/4 of the bottom of the combo and because of this not all the steam gets sucked away. Proof of this that I have a label that's kind of peeling underneath.

As for smells, I have an HRV so I usually just turn this on in conjunction and no problems.
Totally agree.. The HRV and range combo works like charm but nothing sucks out the smell of making fish and chips from scatch or making crab burgers (or burning them).. takes time and a few windows

Extenda venting on this one with 400 cfm http://www.lg.com/ca_en/home-applian...LMHM2017ST.jsp
Old 2011-04-08, 02:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Danny View Post
fish and chips from scatch or making crab burgers
Faaaancy! Gourmet cooking in my house is usually KD with chopped up hot dogs.

Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-04-08, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
Faaaancy! Gourmet cooking in my house is usually KD with chopped up hot dogs.

maybe fancyyyy but taste buds love Alta's chef level cooking but my waist is at odds with it .. why do you think we are buying a new home and I am looking for projects to do!!! So I can eat and burn !!
Old 2011-04-08, 04:41 PM
Regular User

I try to cook food that smells nice :P
No issues with a microwave/fan combo, the HRV does help.