Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

PHAND Telecommunications Installations

Old 2011-06-17, 12:56 AM
Regular User

Default basement insulation behind vapor barrier WET?

Just wondering if there is any discoloration in your basement insulation? It seems like wet spots so I cut a small hole in the vapor barrier and felt the insulation and it didnt feel wet..any clue what it might be? Only certain areas have it

Sundial came to look at it and says it is 'normal' just a bit of condensation due to the warm weather we've had.
Old 2011-06-17, 02:02 AM
Regular User

The discolouration is probably just the colour of the insulation. You should run a dehumidifier to help control the humidity in the basement if you are worried about wet insulation or moisture.
Old 2011-06-17, 11:43 AM
Regular User

Default Colour

Its just a bit of condensation due to the warm weather we've had.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:25 PM
Regular User

i have small wet spots where the concrete wall meets the floor...and then some wetness under the plastic and on the insulation. Is this the same thing you think??? I have 4 spots like this.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:38 PM
Regular User

Most likely excess humidity. Check with your hygrometer and if water is forming that's 100% relative humidity. Not good.

Costco may still have the $179 Danby dehumidifier with a 2-year warranty.

Last edited by lex_rx; 2011-07-07 at 11:51 PM.
Old 2011-07-07, 11:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex_rx View Post
Most likely excess humidity. Check with your hygrometer and if water is forming that's 100% relative humidity. Not good.

Costco may still have the $179 Danby with a 2-year warranty.
Sorry, i dont know anything about this stuff... The hygrometer according to google is a humidy reader? Is this what costco is selling or is that something else. Sorry if im daft!!!
Old 2011-07-07, 11:45 PM
Regular User

its likely warm air leaking from the headers mixing with the cooler air conditioned basement
air creating moisture behind the vapor barrier. A dehemidifier will not help this much unless the moisture was on the outside of the vapour barrier.
Old 2011-07-07, 11:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraserelevB View Post
Sorry, i dont know anything about this stuff... The hygrometer according to google is a humidy reader? Is this what costco is selling or is that something else. Sorry if im daft!!!
Edited my post above to clarify what's being sold at costco.
Old 2011-07-08, 09:24 AM
Regular User

We too had the same problem, the builder told us the same thing, just humidity, run dehumidifier, we actually bought the Danby noted above and run it all summer however when it came time to finish our basement and we pulled off the builder insulation it actually turned out to be our windows leaking.

We also did what you did and cut the insulation in some sections to check and didn't find anything out of the norm but once we pulled it off we found mold and saturated areas.

What was actually happening is when we were watering our grass and the water was running down the brick and basement windows it was getting in below the lintle around the window frame and then into the insulation.

My only recommendation, not sure what stage of tarion you are at you may want to perform some water test to make sure it is just that, humidty and not water penetrating from the outside. Since we have not had any rain for weeks and if you have not watered your grass I think you can chalk it up to humidity but if you have been watering I would take a closer look.
Old 2011-07-08, 12:36 PM
Regular User

In a new house the the concrete and all the other members are very saturated with water. We placed a dehumidifier with a drainage hose in the basement for a few months. This made a huge difference. Now that the basement is all finished and a properly insulated wall system along with the heating /AC are running the basement is 100%.

PS: I still have the Dandy dehumidifier. Bought it new used it for those few months and packed it away. $100 if anybody is interested.