Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common and more!

Acker Home Inspections

Old 2012-07-24, 04:28 PM
Regular User

Default Who and How to measure a property line?

Hello guys,

My neighbor wants to put up a fence. I am not interested but I am willing to pay for my portion. I would like to know in this case who I can ask to make sure that the property lines are measured correctly? I have the house survey already. Not sure who and how?

Thanks all!
Old 2012-07-24, 07:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleface View Post
Hello guys,

My neighbor wants to put up a fence. I am not interested but I am willing to pay for my portion. I would like to know in this case who I can ask to make sure that the property lines are measured correctly? I have the house survey already. Not sure who and how?

Thanks all!
Do it yourself, using the survey. When a bunch of us had fences put in a couple of summers back, the fencing company had us go out with our surveys and stake the property lines, using the various measurements as reference. Should be easy enough...
Old 2012-07-24, 10:02 PM
Regular User

Ditto that. In our case (and I assume most) the fence company refused to stake out the property lines to avoid any extra hassle on their end. We had to stake it ourselves or face a charge for the fence company to do it. We just used our survey as well as the surveying pins that were still in the ground.
Old 2012-07-24, 10:35 PM
Regular User

We are in the process of building our fence and used our survey. Easy peasy.
Old 2012-07-25, 08:29 AM
Regular User

Really depends...

It's a conversation to have with your neighbor.Open communication is key.

If you and your neighbor are agreeable to do it on the property line, then do it off your survey.
If not...or if thier is a dispute about where the property line is..then hire a survey company,to ensure property line is clearly mapped out. You'd be surprised on how anal some people can be regarding a mm off .I've come to to discover some are very territorial over what they deem thier property and find it true..sometimes...a good fence..makes a great neighbor...

Tamarack, Jackson Trails
Old 2012-07-26, 06:45 AM
Regular User

As mentioned above, speak with your neighbour. Bring out your RPR and you can both have a look at it. Then measure from your house and his house to show him/her how it matches the report from the city. There really shouldn't be any debate or grey area where the line is.

Old 2012-07-26, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezieq4u View Post
Really depends...

It's a conversation to have with your neighbor.Open communication is key.

If you and your neighbor are agreeable to do it on the property line, then do it off your survey.
If not...or if thier is a dispute about where the property line is..then hire a survey company,to ensure property line is clearly mapped out. You'd be surprised on how anal some people can be regarding a mm off .I've come to to discover some are very territorial over what they deem thier property and find it true..sometimes...a good fence..makes a great neighbor...
Not Anal or territorial, The law is the law, code is code and plans are are to be respected no matter who you are. I build everything to code and better as it is the right thing to do for my clients. Trying to get away with a sloppy job is not in my personality set.

Great fences make great neighbors but they must be done according to code and plan. Retaining walls over 1000mm must have an engineer review and approve to accepted standards and any subsequent modifications must also be approved by a PEng. All walls adjacent/on our properties do not meet plan nor standards nor are they built to approved plan. They are a danger and affect all property values and quite frankly to use the word of a senior staffer for the company who build it "they are terrible looking and do not meet my standards".

With regard to the placement. I signed an agreement of purchase and sale that contains city constraints for the development and design plans and locations of all structures for my property. I expected it to be followed in the same manner that should i build anything on my property i would be expected to build something that meets code, is safe and is aesthetically appropriate while ensuring that I have all city and engineering approvals.

This has NOTHING to do with our neighbors. Safety and what is right concerns us.

With regards to building fences without having a survey done and locating SIBs .. good luck. You may like your neighbors now..but should a new set move in .. things change. Trust me I had a neighbour who wanted to modify my fence, I build it on my side with proof and that was end of story. Matters concerning property should be dealt without emotion and not make it personal.

Last edited by Alta_Danny; 2012-07-26 at 01:08 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 08:13 AM
Regular User

Alta_Danny, can you please PM me? We are having a retaining wall issue as well, and I think we have the same builder. Would love to find out more...

thanks!
Old 2012-07-26, 08:19 AM

Default Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkybiloba View Post
Alta_Danny, can you please PM me? We are having a retaining wall issue as well, and I think we have the same builder. Would love to find out more...

thanks!
Done and your are very welcome
Old 2012-07-26, 08:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Danny View Post
With regards to building fences without having a survey done and locating SIBs .. good luck.
I'm not sure I agree. You've already had a survey done when you purchase new... you get two copies of it with your closing papers from the lawyer. All of the measurements are there, and as has been suggested above, it's often pretty easy to find the pins, which are marked on the survey. It's not cheap to have another survey done, and even if you do, are they actually going to stake a line in the ground for the fence installers?