Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common and more!

Acker Home Inspections

Old 2007-05-11, 03:46 PM
Regular User

Default MONARCH Homes in Stonebridge

Hello,

Has anyone heard good or bad things with Monarch Homes in Stonebridge???
How are they with the Upgrades in their prices???

I've been looking at the following models: Westmount, Riverside, Highlands.

I wish I could afford the Shaugnessay! It's a nice house...but way too expensive!
Old 2007-05-11, 04:10 PM
Regular User

We were seriously considering Monarch for our home - we were looking at the Pine Valley which is the smallest single they build.

I think they offer pretty good value for the money - although they are a little pricier than other builders. I don't know too much about the towns but the singles had some nice standard finishings e.g. 9' ceilings, decent carpet etc.

We found the staff there very good to deal with - they were very accomodating and arranged a veiwing of a private home as there is no model for the pine valley.

We visited the design centre and priced some upgrades. They were pretty expensive but not too far from what any other Ottawa builder charges.

Stonebrige has very good resale value as well so I think overall Monarch is a good bet.
Old 2007-05-11, 04:41 PM
Regular User

I called Monarch back in February after seeing the competitive prices for their towns

http://www.taylorwoodrowcanada.com/i...ommunityID=172

I found out that to get a total freehold town and an end-unit, it would be another $20K so what you see on the site might not necessarily what you got.

I did go see a resale town in Stonebridge and it turns out it's one of those *condos* town where you pay $50/month or something for people to take care of the streets. Again they like to use the big word *Common Area Maintenance Fee* if I remember correctly. I think that's retarded. Why would I pay somebody else monthly fee to do something that doesn't really have anything to do with me or something that I could do on my own ?

That particular house is on Lockhaven Private. There are quite a few of those in the Stonebridge area actually, Fieldberry Private, Goldthorp Private, just to name a few. I don't know the price ranges that you are looking for but I suggest you find out first if the house that you are interested in is total freehold. Obviously, if you don't mind paying that monthly fee then that's a different story.
Old 2007-05-11, 04:52 PM
Regular User

Just FYI, I don't know if sales is slow or if it's another marketing ploy but Monarch is advertising those towns that you were talking about on GrapeVine

This is the Riverside Model

http://www.grapevine.on.ca/cgi-bin/listing.cgi?id=14004

and this is the Westmount Model

http://www.grapevine.on.ca/cgi-bin/listing.cgi?id=14006

Both comes with finished basement and $10,000 in design centre bonus so I do think it's a good starter home. As Biggie mentioned earlier, Stonebridge has a good resale value so I don't think it would be too difficult to sell and move on to something bigger later on.

Cheers!
Old 2007-05-11, 05:37 PM
Regular User

Hmmmmm $65/month is quite high for maintanance - usually its closer to $30-$40/month....
Old 2007-05-11, 06:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieG View Post
Hmmmmm $65/month is quite high for maintanance - usually its closer to $30-$40/month....
Big, what are your thoughts on these *condo* towns ?, maybe they are not condo towns in their purest sense but let's just use that term for the sake of simplicity

What would be the pros and the cons ? Would you think that (monthly maintenance fee) would be a deterrent when putting them up on the market ?
Old 2007-05-11, 07:44 PM
Regular User

Canabiz -

I think that condo towns CAN be a good deal if the fees are right.

For example: We actually own a terrace home right now and the condo fees are $98 per month. For us that's a pretty good deal because it includes maintenace, insurance, and water - so we save almost enough in other areas to cover the fees and we have no work on the exterior of our home - I personally don't see this as a deterant at all.

However, if your fees only include snow removal I'm not sure what the benifit of living on private street would be when you can buy a freehold town and let the city cover the cost of maintaing the roads.

That being said I have a friend with a town and his "common area fees" are only $30 a month - to me this would not be a deterant if the house was right. But at $60 a month I'm not so sure...
Old 2007-05-12, 10:46 AM
Regular User

I thought the towns in Stonebridge Walker's Ridge is all Freehold without any condo fees.
Old 2007-05-12, 01:16 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMA28 View Post
I thought the towns in Stonebridge Walker's Ridge is all Freehold without any condo fees.
Best to call them and find out T.
Old 2007-05-26, 08:59 PM
Regular User

Just saw the ad from Monarch in today's Ottawa Citizen Homes section

All new houses have 1% discount right now.