Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common and more!

Acker Home Inspections

Old 2007-10-08, 07:19 PM
Regular User

Default Staining Fireplace Mantle

We were thinking of getting Java (dark brown) coloured kitchen cabinets. However, the standard Mantle is stained with a natural Oak stain. Is it easy enough to stain over this with a dark brown colour afterwards? Would I need to sand the mantle to remove the original stain?
How much would be cost to get the builder to stain it with a colour to match the cabinet?

Also, are black coloured appliances generally more expensive than white?

Thanks.

Radu
Mattamy-Fairwinds-Ferncliffe
Old 2007-10-08, 08:03 PM
Regular User

Mattamy charges $250 to stain the mantle a different colour.

Generally black appliances are not more expensive than white (usually the charge only applies to stainless and bisque), although there is less selection for black appliances.
Old 2007-10-08, 08:22 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by radu View Post
We were thinking of getting Java (dark brown) coloured kitchen cabinets. However, the standard Mantle is stained with a natural Oak stain. Is it easy enough to stain over this with a dark brown colour afterwards? Would I need to sand the mantle to remove the original stain?
How much would be cost to get the builder to stain it with a colour to match the cabinet?
Why not just ask the builder to leave the mantle unfinished?? Much easier to stain to the colour of your choice & no need to strip the varnish, sand & all that mess that comes with it...so even paying them $250 to get a diff. colour is a very good idea.
Old 2007-10-09, 07:35 AM
Regular User

Hey Radu,

IMO Java and black appliances are too dark of a combination. You might want to think about Java stained cabinets with stainless appliances. We orginally wanted Java cabinets but we already had the black appliances that's why we stained the cabinets caramel instead.

Old 2007-10-09, 09:47 AM
Regular User

Do NOT put stain over stain. It will be hideous. Plan to strip the existing stain, do some sanding, ... If you can pay the builder a nominal amount to do it for you, it's probably worth it.

My black appliances did not cost me any more than the white equivalents.
Old 2007-10-09, 07:22 PM
Regular User

Mattamy will not leave anything unfinshed as they believe it to be an unfinished house.

I think there might a bit of a hassle to sand it and then staining it again....Might as well get it stained to the colour of your choosing. We did ebony black....wish they would charge less..
Old 2007-10-10, 12:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMA28 View Post
Mattamy will not leave anything unfinshed as they believe it to be an unfinished house.
I agree that this is Mattamy's policy but it is not written in stone and they might accommodate your request to leave the fireplace mantle unfinished so you can stain it yourself or hire a finisher after closing since it doesn't really affect the house "status". It needs to be approved through several people so it doesn't hurt to ask, the worst they could say is no. They do make small exceptions though . Good luck!
Old 2007-10-10, 01:04 PM
Regular User

You might want to keep in mind that leaving a wood unfinished and sitting in a house during contruction might get stained accidentally with other products through the process.

If a worker spills a coffee or drink on it or some other staining is taking place in the house, it is not to difficult to spill something and an unfinished wood would suck all that in. That would effect the end result when you close and start staining it yourself.

If your builder offers a standard or custom stain that will no doubt best match any other wood your trying match anyway, you're probably best to pay the money up front and get it done through the builder and save any heartache after..
Old 2007-10-12, 08:49 PM

My father and I both bought houses in the Fairwinds community. I wasnot told about the option of staining the mantle, had I known, I would have done it because the mantle does not look right with the rest of the kitchen (natural oak vs Bordeaux). My dad, on the other hand, was told about it, and did choose to have it stained. He closed Oct 2. As of today, there is still no stain on the mantle because "it is on backorder".

As for leaving something unstained, I don't believe they will let you. We had asked about not staining our staircase, but they wouldn't let us.

Although it is true about spilling items on bare wood. Someone spilled something on our third stair, and then stained over it. Needless to say, this will be on our 30-day list.

Good luck!