Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common and more!

Axis Heating and Air

Old 2007-12-05, 08:29 AM
Regular User

Default Fireplace??

I want to upgrade my fireplace to a full mantle just plain white. Right now Richcraft gives you granite tiles (black) with a piece of wood over it. I am curious if other builders charge you for this and how much did you pay. I just really love this look but don't want to pay thousands for it.

Thanks

Kelly
Old 2007-12-05, 08:39 AM
Regular User

We paid $3695 for the fireplace and then an additional $295 for the 2nd design option and $195 to stain it Mocha. (See attached pic)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Woodface Fireplace Option - Layout #2.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	913  
Old 2007-12-05, 12:17 PM
Regular User

So, Are you saying that the fireplace doens't come standard? Or was that amount just for the upgrade?
Old 2007-12-05, 12:22 PM
Regular User

The fireplace wasn't standard with our house so we had to pay for it and then we paid an additional amount to upgrade the look and colour of it.
Old 2007-12-05, 12:35 PM
Regular User

In the Mattamy Towns, you're getting the bare bones as standards. Everything is an upgrade with Mattamy!!! I'd rather see them incorperate the fireplace and into the price. They should have a bit more as standards in my opinion but I guess its trade offs for getting a lower based price of the house. Although I have done some comparables and depending how much you want in the house, I have found that Mattamy comes out to be more expensive than some other builders with having the same/simliar sq ft...

I do have to say that the fireplace mantle is pretty nice but they should allow you to stain whatever you want without the extra 250...you are already paying huge dollars for the fireplace itself and most people would like to have a fan kit to go along with the fireplace which is an additional $500.

If you don't like to do upgrades then Mattamy is for you...
Old 2007-12-05, 12:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMA28 View Post
In the Mattamy Towns, you're getting the bare bones as standards. Everything is an upgrade with Mattamy!!! I'd rather see them incorperate the fireplace and into the price. They should have a bit more as standards in my opinion but I guess its trade offs for getting a lower based price of the house.
And this is exactly it.

I don't want a fireplace, I don't need a fireplace, and I don't want to pay for a fireplace. Not having it as standard equipment means I didn't have to pay a few grand extra for one.
Old 2007-12-05, 12:59 PM
Regular User

Gulp. We paid $7103 for our fireplace/shelving unit that reaches the ceiling in our home (Highwood). It's shown in the model home and we though it was too beautiful to pass up! But we had to add a fan kit because they don't include one and we want to feel the heat!

Sigh. Upgrades were pricy but do-able. We ended up getting $35K worth and this brought our home price to $310K. Still very good when compared to other builders for our 2089 worth of square footage and when considering the upgrades we went with. But yes, if you are not interested in upgrading then Mattamy is the most affordable alternative!
Old 2007-12-05, 02:01 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha_Nikki View Post
But yes, if you are not interested in upgrading then Mattamy is the most affordable alternative!
Granted there are some silly things that SHOULD have been standard (like shut-off valves at sinks), or an entrance into the house from the garage. That smacks of money-grab.

But then, who's to say what should or shouldn't be standard? Some of that is also regional, and what we see as "Huh?? That's not included?! Your builder is cheap!" could well be SOP elsewhere. Eavestroughs have been brought up as an example. Nobody in Ottawa gives you that standard. People in Toronto think that's crazy, because everyone there gives that to you standard. So it could simply be that some of these things are a result of a "cultural divide" when a company like Mattamy, who is based in the GTA, comes to Ottawa where we have a whole other set of expectations. (For example, we all think the "WideLot" concept is hogwash, but maybe in the GTA, it isn't...)
Old 2007-12-05, 03:14 PM
Regular User

True. I certainly think that a fireplace fan kit should come standard, as well as the shut off valves, and a glass door for the shower in the already very expensive bath oasis most people get (can you imagine a shower rod in a bathroom that costs $5k?).

I got a garage entry and was surprised when you wrote that some don't get that as an option?

I thought it was OK in all. I spent what I felt was necessary and we did alright!! No potlights though. That was a blatant rip-off (I hate saying that). We're going to replace all the light fixtures with those light fixtures that pretty much are potlights but just not placed in the ceiling. They light the same and have the same effect but just don't look as nice as real potlights. It'll do though.
Old 2007-12-05, 03:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
Granted there are some silly things that SHOULD have been standard (like shut-off valves at sinks), or an entrance into the house from the garage. That smacks of money-grab.
The garage/house door is an option? How stupid is that! How much did they charge for that?

As for the original question of the mantle: I had a basic one installed but got scammed 500$ because I wanted fancy ceramic/porcelain instead of the basic choices and I had to pay 400$ to have it in maple instead of regular oak. Oh, and the fan kit was 325$ but included a wall switch that you could have them put near the fireplace switch (in addition to the little on/off/speed switch in the fireplace)