Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

PHAND Telecommunications Installations

Old 2007-12-22, 10:19 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

I thought I would start an official hardwood flooring thread, since there are many people always asking for hardwood flooring advice/help.

Since I have knowledge on the topic (ex. sub-floors, staining stairs & general flooring questions) just ask away if you have any specific questions

We do this for a living & you can check out my website with many pics in my signature below for more info.

Last edited by patrob; 2012-03-13 at 01:45 AM. Reason: add info
Old 2007-12-23, 10:37 PM
Regular User

i will be taking out the carpet and installing hardwood in my new townhouse. im not sure what type of subfloor they will use under the carpet. will i need to beef it up before i put the hardwood down?
Old 2007-12-23, 11:21 PM
Regular User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurl View Post
i will be taking out the carpet and installing hardwood in my new townhouse. im not sure what type of subfloor they will use under the carpet. will i need to beef it up before i put the hardwood down?
What is the sub-floor? Is it aspenite or plywood? What kind of joists are used TGI or 2x10?

What kind of flooring are you planning to install & how big is the area?
Old 2007-12-24, 12:31 PM
Regular User

- The sub floor isnt plywood, it's some sort of chipboard. They laid this everywhere, where both the carpet and tile goes.

- The joists look like 2x10s.

- I will be intalling hardwood (not laminate or engineered), but not sure exactly what kind.

- I have family room of about 10x18, and all three bedrooms and hallway upstairs to do.

Thanks for your help!
Old 2007-12-24, 10:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurl View Post
- The sub floor isnt plywood, it's some sort of chipboard. They laid this everywhere, where both the carpet and tile goes.

- The joists look like 2x10s.

- I will be intalling hardwood (not laminate or engineered), but not sure exactly what kind.

- I have family room of about 10x18, and all three bedrooms and hallway upstairs to do.
There is really no need to "beef up" your sub-floors. Adding minimum 1/4" plywood upstairs you would have to also remove your railings & nosings & start from scratch. Adding plywood will change your transition heights (tiles/hardwood).

If you have wider span & you feel a lot of flexibility in the floors, then yes. But there is really no need.

Some flooring manufacturers will not warranty the floors if it's installed on chipboard.
Old 2008-01-04, 12:52 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up

If anyone is looking for a good hardwood floor installer in GTA, let me know
Old 2008-01-04, 01:47 PM
Regular User

Default Staining

Hi

I would like to know about how much would it cost to have our stairs re-stain.
Currently have the natural oak and is thinking of doing hardwood on the main floor in a darker finish,
so we would like to re-stain the stairs. I am not sure it is price according to the number of stairs you have.

Last edited by channa; 2008-01-04 at 01:50 PM.
Old 2008-01-04, 04:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by channa View Post
I would like to know about how much would it cost to have our stairs re-stain.
Currently have the natural oak and is thinking of doing hardwood on the main floor in a darker finish,
so we would like to re-stain the stairs. I am not sure it is price according to the number of stairs you have.
To re-finish stairs, it's quite expensive, since it's very labour intensive. You are looking at anywhere $2,000 plus...depending what is involved.

How many pickets, nosings, posts do you have?....do you also want to have your risers & side stringers re-done? There is a cheaper way to do it if you like the piano staircase look, you can probably do the work yourself.

Here is what I am talking about:
http://www.cpstairmasters.com/stairc...pinehurst1.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	staircase-pic-pinehurst1.jpg
Views:	1307
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1112  
Old 2008-01-09, 02:12 PM
Regular User

Exclamation

I will also add that doing your hardwood floors through the builder will cost you much more than if you were to hire someone after closing. Sure it's convenient but you end up paying for that convenience and many times the savings can be in the thousands!

You also have a better selection of wood & colours to choose from vs. a few builder samples. Plus you have greater control of how the floor is actually installed & if you don't like how your installer is doing the job, you can always fire him
Old 2008-01-15, 10:59 PM
Regular User

Patrob

If I have plywood, would I need put anything else down before installing the hardwood?

Also, what is the rate per sq ft for hardwood installation?

Thanks.