Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane

Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane For residents and soon-to-be residents of Stouffvilles Main Street and River Ridge, Great Gulf Homes, Fieldgate, Greenpark and more!

Four Seasons

Old 2006-06-06, 12:17 PM
Regular User

Cool Site Visit

Hey guys,

I went by the site yesterday. I didn't drive in as I don't want to get nails in my new tires so I just took a look. The only difference I noticed from a few months ago was the addition of protective wooden crates around the fire hydrants. I didn't notice any other equipment or material. I drove down to the Mantle site and that looks a lot different from my last visit. There is equipment there, finally, and a tonne of sewers etc. It was hard to see really well but I could see where the streets will be etc.

No new updates really and no new news. I am off to Vegas on the week-end and then up north for a bit so I won't be back to the site until July. I am hoping to see some digging by then!

Deva
Old 2006-06-06, 02:04 PM
Regular User

Cool

Deva,

Have a great trip.

I'm sure when you get back, there will be a change.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old 2006-06-17, 04:14 PM

Default River Ridge - Fieldgate

Hi to all... I was at the subdivision yesterday... although I purchased Mattamy. Had an intersting conversation with a security guard at the site yesterday that may be of interest to you all. Apparently an Indian burial grounds has been dug up at the Fieldgate site. I was given the impression that no homes would be built there. His information seemed to have been on the up and up... and we actually went up to have a look. The area had been blocked off and some scientists were coming in to have a look today. Granted... I had heard a similar rumour about a year ago... some locals were saying that it was the reason for the delays in the Mattamy subdivision, but nothing ever came out of it. Just recently, though there had been some mention in the local paper about the find. I would certainly be contacting the builder and demanding some answers for your delay. I can relate... I purchased my Mattamy home almost two years ago and have had four different closing dates... it finally look like we have made some progress and we are going to close on time... finally! Good luck to all of you...
Old 2006-06-19, 08:41 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavoledo
Hi to all... I was at the subdivision yesterday... although I purchased Mattamy. Had an intersting conversation with a security guard at the site yesterday that may be of interest to you all. Apparently an Indian burial grounds has been dug up at the Fieldgate site. I was given the impression that no homes would be built there. His information seemed to have been on the up and up... and we actually went up to have a look. The area had been blocked off and some scientists were coming in to have a look today. Granted... I had heard a similar rumour about a year ago... some locals were saying that it was the reason for the delays in the Mattamy subdivision, but nothing ever came out of it. Just recently, though there had been some mention in the local paper about the find. I would certainly be contacting the builder and demanding some answers for your delay. I can relate... I purchased my Mattamy home almost two years ago and have had four different closing dates... it finally look like we have made some progress and we are going to close on time... finally! Good luck to all of you...
Don't panic.! After seeing this message, I went to the site early in the morning yesterday. I also met the security guard there and asked him about the Indian burial ground. He said they found it last month only on the Mantle site and nothing related to others and the digging will start after removing all the bones underground on the Mantle site. I think for the other side of Fieldgate site , they will start digging in July as they have mentioned in the letter that I recieved months ago. Good Luck everybody!!!
Old 2006-06-19, 01:45 PM
Regular User

Do you really think they are going to remove the bones?

I'd be upset if it was one of my family members buried there.
Old 2006-06-19, 02:21 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta
Don't panic.! After seeing this message, I went to the site early in the morning yesterday. I also met the security guard there and asked him about the Indian burial ground. He said they found it last month only on the Mantle site and nothing related to others and the digging will start after removing all the bones underground on the Mantle site. I think for the other side of Fieldgate site , they will start digging in July as they have mentioned in the letter that I recieved months ago. Good Luck everybody!!!
Where exactly are these remains located in the site? Do we know what lot numbers fall on them? Sorry for the silly question... you indicated the Mantle site... I am not sure where the sub-division the Mantle site is? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Maios
Old 2006-06-19, 05:22 PM
Regular User

Its just behind the pond and on the left hand side of the small forest. You can see all the ground is full of small red flags when you stand on the Isabella Garden Lane or any one of the streets. I think it will affect the whole Mantle site that was told by the security guard
Old 2006-06-19, 05:24 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Linda
Do you really think they are going to remove the bones?

I'd be upset if it was one of my family members buried there.
The security guard told me that they will remove the bones. I think it needs some times to start digging there.
Old 2006-06-19, 09:35 PM
Regular User

Please check the facts with Ontario Ministry of Culture or with the town engineer to confirm before making assumptions based on a security guard's opinions.

From what I recall there was a section of the site that will remain preserved on the mantle ave section of the site as requested by the town of Stouffville. The Ministy has meet both with the developer and town and has made a provisional agreements with the town to preserve a portion of the site.

The Minitsry was (or may be still is) waiting for final written agreement for long tem protection of the site priior to making recommendations to release the site for registration.

This information was as of May 5 2006. If some one has updated info form a reliable source please share it with us or contact the town engineer or Ontario Ministry of Culture.

The other known issue was technical complications of extending the water pipe to the mantel ave area, which I believe was resolved.

Lets all hope for a July dig...

Last edited by John_V; 2006-06-19 at 09:59 PM.
Old 2006-06-22, 12:54 PM
Regular User

Default update on land registry/permits River Ridge

I spoke with the Town of WS yesterday - the Lebovic parcel of land for River Ridge is still not registered with the town, she indicated the rumour is that it is expected to be registered within the next 2-3 weeks.