Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common and more!

Acker Home Inspections

Old 2008-08-12, 01:35 PM
Regular User

Default Weeping tile drainage from eavestrough downspout

Has anyone installed their own weeping tile drainage to have the water from their eavestrough run under their lawn before it dumps out onto the street?

I hate having the ugly downspout on my lawn and I have seen some people have theirs dump out underground or at at the end of their lawn but have the piping run under the grass.
Old 2008-08-12, 09:24 PM
Regular User

This is called a "French drain". Basically, you dig a long trench, suggest at least 24" deep and as long as practical, sloped downward and widened progressively. Compact bottom soil; add about 6" gravel and compact; install a drain pipe (perforated for drainage), then backfill with course gravel. If run under a sidewalk, compact the gravel, add about 6" of stone dust and compact, then lay stones.

One problem is that these may freeze up during the winter, so water coming down the downspout backs up in the downspout and pops the downspout seams.

In the country, this type of drainage can run to a drainage ditch. In the city, you are supposed to have the drainage perculate through the soil to minimize loading of the storm drainage system.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca
Old 2008-08-13, 12:02 AM
Regular User

Interesting to know that Phil. What we are planning to do is get one of those plastic rain barrels to collect the water. With a tap in the bottom of the barrel you could drain it off to water your garden or lawn when needed.

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Old 2008-08-13, 07:10 AM
Regular User

Excellent! I would like to see more rainwater uses. This summer is not typical, as we've not had as much need for watering my wife's flower gardens.

In the bigger picture, give thought to reducing the flow of water into the storm sewer system. The rain barrel helps, as would having downspouts discharge onto lawns rather than driveways, to slow the rate and amount of water flowing into the storm system. When the storm system gets overloaded, excess water gets dumped directly into the Ottawa River, contributing to contamination of the waterway. Many people doing little things to help can make a big impact in the end....

The rain barrel approach doesn't help in the winter, though.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca
Old 2008-08-13, 11:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Phil Acker View Post
The rain barrel approach doesn't help in the winter, though.
Great suggestions. I'll have to think up a winter method for the downspout.
(I was thinking the barrel raised on something about a foot high would make it easier to drain off with the tap in the barrels bottom or for filling a pail. The barrel would require the downspout shorter to facilitate the barrel. For winter possibly removing the barrel and attaching more downspout to the lower section just for the winter months. )

Old 2008-08-13, 11:27 AM
Regular User

You can buy green flexible spouts for the winter time. In the fall, we remove the barrel and put the green spout on, remove it in the spring and put the barrel back. You can also attach the overflow from one barrel into the next and have several barrels in a row to collect water. It is best to have them elevated a bit, especially if you hope to attach a soaker hose or sprinkler..you need more pressure. Cinder blocks topped off with a patio stone works well.
Old 2008-08-13, 11:45 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrietg View Post
You can buy green flexible spouts for the winter time. In the fall, we remove the barrel and put the green spout on, remove it in the spring and put the barrel back. You can also attach the overflow from one barrel into the next and have several barrels in a row to collect water. It is best to have them elevated a bit, especially if you hope to attach a soaker hose or sprinkler..you need more pressure. Cinder blocks topped off with a patio stone works well.
Any suggestions as to where to buy the barrels? It sounds like you might know!

Old 2008-08-13, 11:46 AM
Regular User

How many barrels do people typically have? I can imagine a barrel will fill up pretty quickly with one good rain fall.

Has anyone hooked up barrels to water their lawns during those typical hot summer weeks (not counting this summer, where we got more rain than sun it seems). Interested in knowing how your setup looks like. How the sprinkler system works. (even if it just a link to some web site)
Old 2008-08-13, 12:03 PM
Regular User

Not sure how many people use but I hope to get a couple. Maybe not right away but over a year or so. I think the barrels are approx $80 each.
I think if they are raising a bit and with the tap in the lower area there might be enough force with just the wieght of the water itself to water the lawn or garden by hand (with hose) Not sure if pressure would be enough for a sprinkler system.
Maybe a few google searches if I get a chance....lol

Old 2008-08-13, 12:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcnally View Post
Any suggestions as to where to buy the barrels? It sounds like you might know!
The Arbour carries them (in the Glebe I think but look in the phone book).

Joseph: if you buy a couple of the barrels, they are very simple to hook together. Basically, the overflow on one attaches to the other. If you get a wide enough hose and you have enough pressure (increase pressure slightly by raising it up a bit) , you can hook a simple sprinkler (not and oscillating sprinkler but one that pretty much spouts from one central point) and it will somewhat work. The pressure is very low so you'll have to move it around lots. If you are mechanically inclined at all you can hook a pump up to it..similar to a pond pump. I haven't tried this yet.

I find I use it mainly to water flowers and the odd time our grass. We only have one barrel at the moment and it pretty much does for the flowers. In dry times, we could use another. It takes only 1 good rain to overflow the barrel so we could defintely collect more.
You can make your own soaker that will work better than the commercial soakers for use by rain barrels by buying a cap for the end of a hose (use a cheap hose) and using a drill to drill holes along the hose. The longer the hose, the lesser the pressure so this is really only effective for watering areas in close proximity of the barrel.
http://askville.amazon.com/SimilarQu...ure+rainbarrel
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...122730615.html