Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Four Seasons

Old 2008-10-23, 03:42 PM
Regular User

Default Fire rated door on garage door entry

Does anyone know why we need fire rated doors for garage door entry? It just does not make any sense. They sell 20 to 90 mins fire rate. If thereís fire in my garage, it will burn through the room on the upper floor in less than 10 minutes. Whatís that door gonna do for my house? Am I missing some logic here somewhere? Are the builders using fire rated doors?
Old 2008-10-23, 04:52 PM
Regular User

your drywalled garage is fire-rated. a lightweight interior panel door (typically made of pressed cardboard) will burn through faster than fire would penetrate a drywall wall, so you need to have a fire rated door & closer. builder are using fire-rated doors. many are using steel clad doors.
Old 2008-10-23, 05:30 PM
Regular User

Cool, thanks. So as long as i use steel clad doors i would be fine. Fire rated doors starts at $400 and it takes a month to receive once ordered. Steel clad doors at Rona starts at $125 and they have it in stock. Thanks for the info.
Old 2008-10-23, 08:23 PM
Administrator

As long as it passes the inspection for the permit..
Old 2008-10-23, 08:50 PM
Regular User

Greg, since i already took possession of the house. What permit do i need? City permit? Builders permit? Who's inspecting?
Old 2008-10-23, 10:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Nile View Post
Does anyone know why we need fire rated doors for garage door entry? It just does not make any sense. They sell 20 to 90 mins fire rate. If thereís fire in my garage, it will burn through the room on the upper floor in less than 10 minutes. Whatís that door gonna do for my house? Am I missing some logic here somewhere? Are the builders using fire rated doors?
(Our builder uses them) Any time you can slow the progress of a fire to give you a better chance to get out should be reason enough to use a steel door. Make sure it's installed with a good tight seal too...carbon monoxide from cars running, stale gas cans, chlorine pucks for the pool, fertilizer...all the fun stuff we store under our kids bedrooms in the garage can get in the house without us knowing too.
Old 2008-10-24, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Nile View Post
Greg, since i already took possession of the house. What permit do i need? City permit? Builders permit? Who's inspecting?
Best to call the City of Burlington to confirm. I know some municipalities require permits for this because it does need to adhere to building codes to make sure it is the correct door and seals properly.
Old 2008-10-24, 04:51 PM
Regular User

Iíll look into it. Thanks for all the replies guys.